cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database refresh without detach & attach method

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are on ECC 6.0, Win 2003,Sql server 2005.

I gone thru SAP notes for refresh , in those steps the source system must be detach or offline to copy the files to the target.

Is there anyway to do the refresh without source system downtime.

I Have tried thru restoring the backup of source to target system, i am not able to succedded

Please suggest how to do the refresh without source system downtime...

Thanks,

Subhash

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Subhash,

For an ABAP only system, you only need a backup of your database, you will need to manully recreate the SAP SQL accounts and assign the <sid>adm and SAPService<SID>, there is some tweaking involved but it is not difficult.

Let me know where exaclty are you having the problem and which is the process that you are following, I can give you some guidance.

Zareh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Zareh,

Thanks for the reply..

The below are the steps i am following for reresh from PRD->QAS.

1) Taking full backup of the production database.

2) Detach the QAS and trying to restore the QAS with PRD backup....

At the step2 i am unable to restore the PRD backup to QAS..

Please guide me .. what are the steps i have to follow...

Thanks,

Subhash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Subhash,

Which is the error that you are getting during the restore?

Zareh

kondala_muppana
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Subhash,

Are you able to restore the database? If not what error you are getting. You don't have to detach the database. You can restore on top of QAS. We do several refreshed Windows 2003/Sql 2000/2003 database.

After restore, you need to run user_change script attached in note (Note 551915 - R/3 won't start after database restore or database copy) and this will recreate QAS user in SQL Server provide necessary access and change table owner form source(PRD) to target(QAS). Let me know if you have any question.

Please award points if this helps.

Best Regards

Kondala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Muppana,

Thanks for the reply, i have followed your suggestions and check the option recover when QAS is online and select from PRD to QAS and selected the options

1) Overwrite the existing database

2) Recovery state option as no-recovery.

I have got the message recovered completed succesfully and i observed the state of QAS is Recovering from one hour...

Please suggest me... does i am on righttrack....

Thanks,

Subhash

kondala_muppana
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Subhash,

Is recovery completed?

Best Regards

Kondala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kondala,

QAS is showing staus recovering and i observed the same status for more than 5 hours....i manully cancelled every thing now...

Please suggest ..me what else i have to follow.. to make refresh with out downtime...

Thanks,

Subhash

kondala_muppana
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Subhash,

I think you selected wrong option. You should choose the first option which is restore the database and make ready for use. Option two is for applying additional log and that is the reason SQL Server is in recovering mode. See the options below.

1. RESTORE WITH RECOVERY

2. RESTORE WITH NORECOVERY

3. RESTORE WITH STANDBY

Best Regards

Kondala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kondalla,

Thanks for the reply...Now i am able to restore the DB sucessfully..

I have taken the full backup of PRD and restore it to QAS during online itself using restore from database option in option tab of recovery screen i selected the overwrite existing database and select the first option in recovery state...

Thanks,

Subhash

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I Have tried thru restoring the backup of source to target system, i am not able to succedded

Imagine you have a disaster recovery case and "you're not able to suceed"... nothing more is a system copy - a good training for recover procedures

What is "not succeeding"?

Markus