cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second copy of archivelogs backup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I am having ECC 5.0 system where unfortunately DB13 transaction is not working currently.

We are taking backup through Batch files.

My archive log backup is taken by using following command.

brarchive.exe -s -p initPRD.sap -c -l E -d disk -k no

Now i need to delete my archive logs only after second copy of archive log is generated.

My storage location is Physical hard disk and its giving me error as

BR0181E Option '-cds' not supported for 'disk'

or BR0181E Option '-scd' not supported for 'disk'

How my command should be modified to perform dual copy of archive log and then delete.

Best Regards,

AjitR

Edited by: ajju rane on May 30, 2008 10:18 AM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it because in Disk as target location , Unlike we can perform this task on tape..... we have same location

for second copy.

So this option is not possible when storage location is phisical hard disk.... because it works well in our landscape where we have tape drives.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

If anybody could confirm over my issue , i sincerely appreciate the same.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Best Regards,

AjitR

0 Kudos

Hello Ajju,

I'm not sure what is the question here.

But I'll throw some hints.

First, I think the errors are pretty clear:

> BR0181E Option '-cds' not supported for 'disk'

> BR0181E Option '-scd' not supported for 'disk'

If you take a look at the SAP Note 17163 BRARCHIVE/BRBACKUP messages and codes then you have a clear explanation of the error:

> BR0181E Option '%s' not supported for '%s'.

> BR0181E Option '%s' nicht unterstuetzt fuer '%s'.

> Explanation: The option is not supported in the call constellation.

> Program reaction: The option is ignored and processing continues (BR0181W). Processing terminates (BR0181E).

You cannot call the options "cds"/"scd" when the destination is a disk. Keep in mind that the idea of the second copy is to have a second copy (a bit redundant, sorry) in a different location (tape)

If you do it to disk, you will have two copies of the same file on the same location (a disk)

In that case you will have to perform different calls to get your objective

Former Member
0 Kudos

You could use the command ALTER SYSTEM SET log_archive_dest_1='location=<path>' command to write logs to 2 different places (execute the command again for log_archive_dest_2).

-RK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks RK,

But i dont need to store my archives at different location but to take backup of those as first and second copy of those ( as it is possible and happens in Tape drive ) to different location , because i am storing currently on DISK ( where it will not recognise first copy because it is storing second one on the same location.

So conslusion is CDS option is not possible with Disk.

I just thought there could be parameter for the same... but i am afraid i was wrong.

I am closing this message.

Best Regards,

AjitR