cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any ISV saying goodbye to SAP .NET connector?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

In our .NET based application, we make calls to a number of BAPIs and RFCs. With the planned obsolence of SAP .NET connector and SAP's push towards SOA, we are thinking of abandoning using SAP .NET connector and just use Web service calls.

The hardest part is to tell our customers that they need to configure their SAP server and expose all the BAPIs as web services. So far, our product just worked out of the box and required no changes to SAP server.

I am wondering if other ISVs on the forum can share your thoughts.

Regards,

Peter

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pieter, it's nice to know that the support time is still long. Could you please send me link to the page that states it? Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

the .NET connector is supported until 2010 and then with extended maintenance until 2013, therefore currently i don't see the need of migrating. In case you want to still migrate I recommend taking a look into the new WCF LOB Adapter from Microsoft, this adapter is using also BAPI/RFC and your customer don't have to expose the BAPIs as Web Service. You can find the evaluation version at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f3ea0659-b0ed-4d5a-891e-53268128a5f0&Displa..., don't get confused if you read BizTalk Server, the adapter can also be used directly from Visual Studio w/o BizTalk Server involved.

- Juergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Juergen,

Appreciate your help. It is good to know that SAP .NET Connector would still be supported until 2013.

The good thing about the code this connector generates is that it can work with remote functions via direct calls as well as over web services.

Given that the support for the connector is not going away soon, we have decided to stick with our old mechanism. Saves coding time:-).

Regards,

Peter

Dorian
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Peter:

So far, this hasn't been a problem for us.

Our application runs on PC clients within the company firewall, so the SAP system is not over-exposed. Any roaming users such as sales people typically get access to the company network via VPN, so are still within the company firewall when the application makes calls to the SAP system.

Regards,

D.