Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SE03 / SE06 System Change Option Scope

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are creating a source system from R/3 to BW in some specify step we need to change the System Change Option of the sistem in a particular client (SE06 -> System Change Option -> No Modifiable to Modifiable and Modifiable to No Modifiable).

My question is: This changes are Cross Client?

Or only apply to the specify client where you are logged?

Best Regards,

Erick Ilarraza

3 REPLIES 3

Former Member
0 Kudos

the changes made in SE06 are cross-client. if you want to change client dependent settings there's another button for this or alternatively use transaction SCC4. both of them work together: meaning, you cannot set the system to 'overall modifiable' in SE06 without adjusting the client settings to 'repository and cross-client changings allowed'. at least not when you are implementing support packages or any other thing - in case of an upgrade and/or packages i would suggest you set everything to 'modifialble' but enable transport requests for changes - if for nothing else then for documentation.

0 Kudos

Hi!

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Best Regards,

Erick Ilarraza

Former Member
0 Kudos

On their own, Global and Compenent specific change options are not client dependent as they are not related to the logical system of the ABAP user nor the master and transaction data (tables with field MANDT as key).

Personally, I think of it as a "call stack" of checks on whether and what you can modify. Perhaps "System Change Update-ability" would have been a better label, but that is not good English.

As the stack is released for a user in a client (a logical program system), the system determines what can be updated at different levels of the stack as it unfolds, a bit like a spring. At the top there is SE06. At the bottom of the spring there are individual authority-checks which are system, client, program flow and context, and user access dependent.

Depending on where in the stack you release the spring from and how you got there, your user can update parts of the stack. Often the term "logical systems" is used in connection with the client (SCC4 client), but also many others such as workflow etc.

=> If the user can pass authority-checks for access at the bottom of the stack (S_DEVELOP is the key control here), then they can also change that which the top of the stack was designed to control. If you can debug, then there is nothing which will stand in your way.

> My question is: This changes are Cross Client?

It depends. You still need to control access via authorizations within the client to secure access to the whole system.

Cheers,

Julius