cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASYNCHRONOUS updates

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SAP Gurus,

I have an idea about this, but I wanted to confirm with the experts. Asynchronous updates is something in which, "Messages can be persisted," and not, "Acknowledgment can be sent back," I am thinking this second option is more for Synchronous updates since it becomes a, "Blocking Mode." Am I right about this.

Thanks,

Adnan Abbasi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check these threads

Asynchronous Update – The program does not wait for the work process to finish the update. Commit Work.

Synchronous Update – The program wait for the work process to finish the update. Commit Work and Wait.

Asynchronous updating. In this mode, the called transaction does not wait for any updates it produces to be completed. It simply passes the updates to the SAP update service. Asynchronous processing therefore usually results in faster execution of your data transfer program.

Asynchronous processing is NOT recommended for processing any larger amount of data. This is because the called transaction receives no completion message from the update module in asynchronous updating. The calling data transfer program, in turn, cannot determine whether a called transaction ended with a successful update of the database or not.

If you use asynchronous updating, then you will need to use the update management facility (Transaction SM12) to check whether updates have been terminated abnormally during session processing. Error analysis and recovery is less convenient than with synchronous updating.

Synchronous updating. In this mode, the called transaction waits for any updates that it produces to be completed. Execution is slower than with asynchronous updating because called transactions wait for updating to be completed. However, the called transaction is able to return any update error message that occurs to your program. It is much easier for you to analyze and recover from errors.

DataBase Commit:

This statement will apply any outstanding database updates and wait until they have actually been put on the database before proceeding to the next statement.

An ordinary commit work will initiate the process to update the databases in a separate task and will press on in your abap.

COMMIT WORK: ( Asynchronous)

Your program does not wait for any acknowledgement. it just start executing the next statment after COMMIT WORK

Reward points if helpful.

Regards,

Soumya

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would like to thank all of you for your excellent answers and thread posts. You guys are good. I guess was looking for keywords, that Asynchronous commits the work and does not wait its Messages are persistent, whereas the Synchronous commits and wait and its Messages are not persistent.

So guys and gal am I right in assuming that in case of Asynchronous the messages are persistent and in Synchronous they are not.

Adnan Abbasi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Synchronous updating. In this mode, the called transaction waits for any updates that it produces to be completed. Execution is slower than with asynchronous updating because called transactions wait for updating to be completed. However, the called transaction is able to return any update error message that occurs to your program. It is much easier for you to analyze and recover from errors.

Synchronous update is as and when you call the update funtion module or say routine at the same time that procedure is executed.

Asynchronous updating. In this mode, the called transaction does not wait for any updates it produces to be completed. It simply passes the updates to the SAP update service. Asynchronous processing therefore usually results in faster execution of your data transfer program.

Where as in the case of Asynchronous update you call the procedure but it will be xecuted only after the database commit.

For example: PERFORM ON COMMIT.

Synchronous and Asynchronous Updates

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/e5/de86e735cd11d3acb00000e83539c3/frameset.htm

Check this link for more detailed information:

http://fuller.mit.edu/tech/sync_asynchronous.html

Thanks

Swarup

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

R u talking in which context....if u r taking in terms of adapter

then

Quality of service in adapter defines whether adapter acts in synchronous manner or asynch.

refer the below quality of service for more info.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/41/b714fe5ffc11d5b3ea0050da403d6a/frameset.htm

if u r talking about update techniques then refer the below link for the same;

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/41/7af4cba79e11d1950f0000e82de14a/frameset.htm

chirag