cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data copy from Solaris to Windows!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have an existing SunOS 5.9 system with R/3 4.6C and oracle 9.2 as database running for 3 yrs approx.

Now I have to copy the whole client (Production Client Only) into a windows standalone server which also need to be created.

How should I proceed???Please tell me in details....I have not work on this type of situation

Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Ami _Eka

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Quick answer: you can't copy.

Long answer:

Solaris/SPARC is BigEndian, Windows/Intel is LittleEndian (see note 552464 - What is Big Endian / Little Endian? What Endian do I have?).

To achieve this, you need to do a heterogeneous migration. For this purpose you need to hire a certified migration consultant, otherwise you will loose support for the target system (see http://service.sap.com/osdbmigration).

Basically you will do an R3load export from the source system and a new installation with R3load on the target system.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus and Ami _Eka,

What i have done with regard to this activity was I had PRD box on AIX platform Oracle 9i and needed another windows machine with same data ,

i taken Client export of PRD client on Unix machine,

( as PRD box will have only one client )

Now this Client Export is Imported to Windows Oracle machine where SAP was already installed fresh.

Even OSDB migration process is simpler .... But then you have to perform this across the entire 3 system landscape.

Best Regards,

AjitR

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Now this Client Export is Imported to Windows Oracle machine where SAP was already installed fresh.

This will most likely not work.

- a fresh installed system has a different codebase than a system, where e. g. notes have been applied

- a fresh installed system doesn´t have client independent customizing which won´t be transported via client export/import

So you will most likely end in an import, that is failing because for example on the source system, there´s a Z-table existing that is not on the target system.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

I agree but if we just need system copy of PRD system, i.e just need PRD data on Windows machine.... we can go for the client Export Import option... about Zprograms yes you will definitely face an issues..... and during this activity if i rememember we Imported all requests which were Imported into PRD till date through script.... But my point is this is possible and you will get system up and running on Windows platform with PRD data ( this was the requirement for me few years back )

As Mr. Ami aka never specified that they want to migrate their OS ( where we have only one option which is OSDBmigration across landscape )

But he insisted on PRD client data only.

Again thanks for your comments Markus to bring clear limitations of client Import activity onto other's reference.

Best Regards,

AjitR

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I agree but if we just need system copy of PRD system, i.e just need PRD data on Windows machine.... we can go for the client Export Import option... about Zprograms yes you will definitely face an issues..... and during this activity if i rememember we Imported all requests which were Imported into PRD till date through script.... But my point is this is possible and you will get system up and running on Windows platform with PRD data ( this was the requirement for me few years back )

Yes - it´s possible - but it pretty cumbersome, especially on the "second time" when you need to find out the delta transports between the last time and now.

As Mr. Ami aka never specified that they want to migrate their OS ( where we have only one option which is OSDBmigration across landscape )

Yes - true. I just think (personal opinioni) that it´s more straighforward to do a system copy/migration in this case than trying to keep up with transports

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

You are absolutely right !!!! OSDBMigration is Proper approach... Only need additional Unix machine ( server ) to perform this activity.

Besides this posts appreciate if you could give some comments on topic :: " Second copy of archivelogs backup " in the same forum area which is one of problem currently posted by me.

Best Regards,

AjitR