Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling SAP RFC from Share point applications or Microsoft Applications

former_member192283
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

I have requirement of calling SAP RFC's from Share point applications from Microsoft.

Cany any body tell me what is the procedure for calling the RFC's from the Share point applications.

Because of i am new to this, step by step procedure is appriciated

Thanks &Regards

Vijay

Edited by: Vijay Krishna Meda on May 29, 2008 7:15 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member

Hi,

it depends on what version of SharePoint you are running, if you are on SharePoint 2007 you can use the BDC (Business Data Catalog) for calling the RFCs/BAPIs form the SAP system if you expose them as a Web Service. I would recommend taking a look to the paper http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/c/1/bc1939d9-638f-4053-b602-4258f18bb683/CB_045_Interoperab..., here you will find a detailed walkthrough how to use the BDC for integrating SAP into SharePoint. In case you are connecting to an older SAP system (before WEB AS 6.40) you would have to create a Web Service Layer between the BDC and the SAP system, that can be done by using BizTalk, XI, the .NET connector, the WCF LOB Adapter from Microsoft, ...

- Juergen

former_member192283
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jürgen Daiberl,

Thanks for your valuble reply,

Basically i am experienced in SAP portal in java platform. AS my client has requirement of accessing the RFC's from the share

point server. I have started working on this.

Basically i am not a Mircrosoft person to give more clarity for them. But according to my knowledge i have proposed the following two options .

1) Using SAP .Net Connecter.

2) Using Webservice .

But u have given idea to implement using the BDC (Business Data Catalog) for calling the RFCs/BAPIs form the SAP system if you expose them as a Web Service.

As per your statement can't i use the RFC's directly exposed RFC as webservice in my share point application?

Is it mandatory to use the BDC layer to connect the exposed RFC's?

But the client is interested and aware of the webservice option. Because it is open stardard.

But i have seen following points in some of the blogs ,

if the bulk information is trasmitting through the webservice will hit the bad performance issues. when i told told same

Also RFC based communication is faster communication comparison to SOAP based WS.

After i have proposed the . Net connector also, Client requesting to investigate both options based on the following questions. Based on that will decide to which option choose

for implementation.

Following points need to be clarified.

Why to use .Net Connecter?

Why to use webservice

When to use .Net Connector? when to use webservice?

How to use .Net connector? How to use webservice?

What the limitations & benefits of using the .Net connector and webservice.

What is the basic setup required for using .Net Connector or Webservice?

If u are aware of please answer the above questions for understanding better.

I have a basic question using webservice option

In this method, we need to Expose the RFC as webserivce in the R/3 end. In the .Net side we need to write the client

programme to connect webserice using .wsdl generated by the R/3.

Please let me know if any steps are missing for implementing in the above webservice option.

I am listing down my Environment

In Microsoft Side

MicrosoftOffice SharePoint Server 2007

Windows Server 2003

Windows SharePoint Services 3.0

SQL Server 2005 is the relational database used for storing all content, data, and configuration information

The core and development-platform operating system services include:

Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework, including:

ASP.NET 2.0 master pages, content pages, and Web Parts

Pluggable service-provider models for personalization,membership, navigation, and enhanced security

Database access services

Internet Information Services

Windows Workflow Foundation

Windows desktop indexing and search services

In SAP Side

ECC6.0

CRM 2005 & CRm 2007

Anyway the link which u have provided to refer myself is not working.

Please reply to me is very critical requirment to implement. Let me know if u need any information further

Kindly provide the step by step detail process.

Advanced Thanks & Regards

Vijay

Edited by: Vijay Krishna Meda on May 30, 2008 9:24 AM

Edited by: Vijay Krishna Meda on May 30, 2008 11:58 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can also use the .NET Connector or you can directly connect from SharePoint to the Web Services. But by using the BDC you will get additional functionality like out-of-the-box Web Parts generated based on the information in the BDC, you also don't have to write code, the BDC connects to the Web Services and you can then add the Business Data Web Parts to your SharePoint side w/o doing eny development. If you are willing to do the development of Web Parts of if you wnat to connect to RFCs/BAPIs from a SharePoint Workflow you can for sure use

- Web Services

- .NET Connector

- Microsoft WCF LOB Adapter

- BizTalk Server or

- PI

Take a look to the documentation in http://www.microsoft.com/isv/sap/technology/interop/sharepoint.aspx, here you will find a lot of useful information what's possible today.

- Juergen

former_member192283
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jürgen Daiberl ,

Thanks for your valuable reply, u have given me good idea for me to go forward. But, i have seen confusion in your two points . so Kindly clarify the following questions.

In your reply, u have specified the following points

First point:

1) If you are on SharePoint 2007 you can use the BDC (Business Data Catalog) for calling the RFCs/BAPIs form the SAP system if you expose them as a Web Service. I would recommend taking a look to the paper

For the above point i have one question like.

If u use the BDC to connect RFC, is it mandatory to expose the RFC/ BAPI as webservice? if yes, then why do we need to use the BDC to access the RFC's,?

i can access those exposed webserice RFC's from the .NET application also know? Is this to eliminate the complexity of handling the Transactions by using the webservice directly or any things else?

Second Point:

Because u have specified one more point like if i am using the less than 6.40 version as SAP i need to create the Webservice

layer between the BDC and the SAP system.

In case you are connecting to an older SAP system (before WEB AS 6.40) you would have to create a Web Service Layer between the BDC and the SAP system, that can be done by using BizTalk, XI, the .NET connector, the WCF LOB Adapter from Microsoft,

My questions on the above point are:

If i am using the ECC5.0 or ECC6.0 in SAP also i need to expose the RFC as webservices ?

or

If i use only less than 6.4 web AS SAP system then only i need to expose the RFC/BAPI as webservices.

What is the meaning of creating the webservice layer between the BDC and the SAP sytem?

is Creating the webservice layer is between the BDC and SAP sytem is nothing but exposing the RFC/BAPI as web services?

What is the meaning of creating the webservice layer between BDC and SAP sytem using BizTalk, XI , .NET Connecter ?

Are u proposing the BDC option for using the out of box features of BDC? or is there any reason ?. Beacuse i have red one point in the forums that, using .Net connector going to fade away in the future, and the web service approach is the one that will be used by SAP for future systems. so using the webservice option is better option. At the same time i have red the same point like u said, using the webserice we need to handle the transaction by my own.

Because these points are very much important to discuss with client clearly to propose them the right option. Beacause then can ask me question like why i do need to go for BDC?

The links which u are providing in your reply's as of now is not working to refer myself. kindly provide the right links to refer.

Finally, one more question, what is the possibility's for connecting SAP CRM 2005 or 2007 systems also?

Once again thanks for answering my question presiously.

Regards

Vijay

0 Kudos

Hello former member , Did you find any optimal solution to connect SAP to sharepoint ? please tell me the updates , i'm in same position like yours on 2008