cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database Growth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ALL,

I have SAP R/3 4.7 sr 1.10 installed on hp ia64 with Oracle 9.2.0.8. I want to predict the growth rate of the db size so that i can procure additional storage. I checked all the space statistics in db02. I choose month. Can anyone please tell me someway of predicting the growth of db for coming 2 years from the data that I have (for the past 10 months).

Any standard reccomendation from SAP or Oracle??

Thanks,

Viren

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

vince_laurent
Active Participant
0 Kudos

What I did was just take a measurement every Friday and graph it. I can pretty much use a ruler and tell where we will be in a year or two. When we added new modules it took a few months but, again, the trending then showed itself. Nice thing to hand to management and users.

Vince

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok. Thanks a lot marcus for your suggestions. I got your point.Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus

I know the divide by 10 then * 24 part. What i meant was how much buffer should be added in that? That is where sap and oracle recommendations come in. Please enlighten me on this if u can

Regards,

Viren.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nobody, neither SAP nor Oracle nor we here, can estimate, what will happen with your system in the next two years.

Buffer tuning is an iterative process, depending on workload, used applications, number of transports running in the system, number of users... there are many parameters that influence performance, not just the total database size.

If you run e. g. just HR on the system you may be fine with database buffer sizes for the next two years. If you recruit e. g. 10.000 more people then you would need to increase those if the performance is degrading.

In the "early days" of SAP systems there was a rule-of-thumb saying, that 10 % of the database size should be in the memory but nowadays this is no more true because speed of I/O systems increase, SAN caches are bigger etc.

Markus

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you have the growth for 10 month divide by 10 and multiple by 24.

2 years is a LONG time and given the fact, that the maintenance for 4.7 ends next year in march I would also consider an upgrade to a newer software version.

Markus