cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strategical Decision - when to use PCK instead of XI - Adapter ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everybody,

being a newby to the world of SAP Netweaver I found the ressources you created here very use- und helpful - thank you all.

We are in somekind of a design-phase regarding our necessary interfaces ...

right now a strategic question occures : when will it make sense to make use of PCK instead of using the possibilties PI has ?

Or else : Why should I use (and pay for) pck, while Netweaver PI can be used as some kind of middleware?

Whats the advantage / disadvantage?

I found and read a lot of blogs, threads, etc. describing and discussing the how PCK works (or not) but I still don't get the picture about the questions above.

Thanks in advance !

René

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

The PCK (Partner Connectivity Kit) is a solution provided by SAP for companies who wants to communicate with another company that have SAP XI but don’t want to install their own SAP XI, basically it’s an installation of an small SAP XI system with most of the functionality disabled and it is used as an endpoint for message transfer between the organization with XI and the partner company.

Pls see the link below

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/3f9fc190-0201-0010-0cbd-87f50e40...

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/34a1e590-0201-0010-2c82-9b6229cf...

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/6f83d790-0201-0010-629d-ab5bf10c...

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/99/115281baba404890d2561617a78409/frameset.htm

rgds

Arun

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everybody,

I am starting to get the picture, which I will paint for you - and please correct me if I am wrong:

So, there's Company A - our leading, big (and maybe bad?) Company. Company A is using SAP NetWeaver 7.1 PI.

Then again we have company B to Z. There are non SAP-Legacy-System, resp. SAP-Systems.

Company A needs informations from the companies B to Z and still thinks having PI for communication and - moreover - process integration is enough to do exactly that.

And I guess thats the error: to communicate and exchange data between the companies, the companies B to Z will find it difficult to put a message via Adapter Engine to Companie A, 'cause the adapter engine(s) installed at Companie B to Z don't know how what to do whith these messages.

Therefore arouses a need to use PCK or allow Companie A's PI to communicate directly with the systems in Companies B to Z with all the consequenzes that has ...

Regards

René

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Organizations never allow to expose there communication ports to be openly accessible. So, they need something in between.

No organization allows to make ERP accessible directly from the external systems.

And moreover PCK and XI are not installed in same landscape. There are different landscapes/organizations for both.

PCK is like a small XI .you can use the Partner Connectivity Kit (PCK) to connect smaller business partners, who do not have SAP Exchange Infrastructure, to the Integration Server.

The PCK of the smaller business partner receives a message from its system landscape and converts the format of the message to XI message protocol. The message is forwarded to the Integration Server for further processing.

**********Reward points,if found useful

Former Member
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everybody,

thanks for the quick answers - I already knew some of the pdf-files, other files where new and helpful to me !

to Sheshagiri:

In your answer, you posted a link to another answer of yours. There you mentioned a DOC you sent, which would help to come to know.

Could you please make me have that DOC, too? Sorry for the expression - I am not allowed to use the word "sent" in this context - Forum Rules.

Thanks in advance!

René

Edited by: BeginnR on May 29, 2008 10:52 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check my reply in thi thread

/thread/883691 [original link is broken]

Regards

Seshagiri