Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

with regard to item usage

former_member294729
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi friends,

you know we can use ITEM USAGE to determine item category in sales order and delivery order of SAP. But I was wondering if some body can help me to know

1) what is the function of item category usage in item category determination

2) where is it derived from.

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Item usage is nothing more than ABAP programs, which are set internally in the program.

For example - let's take this entry in item category assignment

- OR TEXT TAN TATX

The system usage type TEXT is used in item category determination if the user enters an item in a sales document by entering data in the description field without specifying material number.

Usage type FREE is used for controlling the free goods item.

There are also other usage types defined in system.

former_member204513
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lin,

In Item Usage menu option, you can specify the item category usages which control the usage of an item. Item category usage controls,

For example, If the text item is entered in the sales documents not a Material the system will response during document processing based on the Item usage which you have maintained in the VOV4 transaction.

Item category usage can also be

maintained via the item categories (detail screen for item categories: Goto -> Item Usage).

In the standard SAP R/3 System, the following usages are defined:

-->Batch split

-->Text item

-->Service item relevant for billing

-->Service item not relevant for billing

For FREE of item we can define Usage as FREE.

We can define the Usage in the IMG

SPRO-->Sales and Distribution >Sales>Sales Documents>Sales Dcoment item>Define itemcategory Usage.

We can assign the Usage in VOV4 transaction based on this assignment Itemcategory will be determined for the text or Fee items in the sales order processing.

I hope it will clear for you,

Regards,

Murali.

former_member294729
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

Thank you for your input.

So could you tell me how can I enter a text item in a sales order?

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

what is the function of item category usage in item category determination

Item usage controls how the item category should behave during a document processing. Item usage controls the usage of the item. Item usage tells wheather it is a text item , free item , product selection item etc

where is it derived from.

Generally this item usage is there in CMIR too which has the heighest priority. ( even through we wont maintain this while creating CMIR)

Spro --> Sales and Distribution --> Sales --> Sales Documents --> Sales Document Item --> Define Item Category Usage

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

As per my understanding we use this Item usage in specific scenarios viz when we want to classify Hazardous material, we may assign a item usage for these materials for tracking them separately.

This is derived from the material master. For Item cat determination this is one of the parameters but this is not a mandatory parameter.

hope this helps.

Regards,

Mani