cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips needed to break into SAP career.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I'm having around 2 yrs of experience in mainframe application development mainly on COBOL side.My company is planning to migrate it's Retail legacy finance applications into SAP . They are planning to implement the SAP FI & CO modules.My company has decided on the integration partner and is planning to develop a SAP team here by working alongside with the Integration partner. lam interested in switching my career to SAP. My Company is planning to give training in SAP for some employees who were involved in preparing the migration strategy documents for the integration vendor. so is this a good opportunity to break into the SAP world? I had learnt the OOP concept to some extent though i haven't worked on them. If possible I am thinking of to start from ABAP and gradually move to the functional side. Could someone answer my questions and guide me in starting a career in SAP? My questions are,

1) How should i start the training ? ie, being a developer shud i go for the ABAP side or think of other options? .I came to know that Netweaver Java-J2ee is the hottest area in SAP currently. I need to know about the opportunities for ABAP development on the finance side even though my company is looking for minimal customization. What kind of development works can i expect from this scenario? Will the development work in the above mentioned scenario help me out in building expertise in ABAP? Is there a need for any certification or work exp will do?

2) What all areas i can concentrate on SAP? like since i need to work on the finance applns,shud i go for finance modules?

can i go for some other modules in future?

3) How can I move to the functional side after developing ABAP expertise for the initial years in SAP career? How long you will suggest to remain in technical side(ABAP development) before one can move to the functional side with respect to the different modules available in SAP solutions?

Your early response will be greatly appreciated and Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Vipin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

ABAP programming will be a good solution for you. And also you can start reading about it or take up a SAP course with its certification. Ofcourse your experience will help you in getting a career start in SAP.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Get mini-sap and a book on abap to play about to see if you like developing.

Kind regards

Ash Thomas

Sap Consultant

<a href=http://www.ashpeople.com>Sap Consultancy</a>

<a href=http://www.ashpeople.com>www.ashpeople.com</a>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am a ASP.NET 1.0, 2.0 and 3.5 developer. I know nothing about SAP. I have been coding for web solutions for the finance companies, lehman and merrill for the past 3 years and I have a total of 7 years of hands of coding experience within the domain of creating web based solutions using Microsoft technologies. I have interacted with databases such as Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle 10g and DB2 9 series.

I would like to get a break into a SAP position. How can I make this happen?

What books would you suggest?

From what I gather, would ABAP be a good initial landing point for me? I like coding.

Which books would you suggest on ABAP or any other landing point?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am happy and glad to see / sign into SAP forums. So many experts are helping others. Well I am Richard working as Administrator for last 14 years in IT industries Out of curiosity I am planing to learn SAP Module which i can .

I have few questions about SAP

1. Where do I start?

2. What is SAP , how its going work in my carieer ?

2. Where do I get some SAP implementation Scenarios?

3. What are the pre-requisites for SAP

4. Which module i have study where ?

I am right now working as a Senior Manager Logistics & Facilities wkith handsome experence in PURCHASE< LOGISCTICS<FACILITIES<OPERATIONS and in ADMISTRATION

Any help appreciated

Thanks in advance.

Richard F.Gunalan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

It seems very strange to me that you're planning on learning sap and, according to question 2, you don't know what it is!

If I were you I'd look at www.sap.com, buy a book on sap and that should give you a feel for what it is.

Kind regards

Ash Thomas

Sap Consultant

<a href=http://www.ashpeople.com>Sap Consultancy</a>

<a href=http://www.ashpeople.com>www.ashpeople.com</a>