Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Release Strategies Roles

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is the best practice for creating release strategies roles? My problem is that I was informed that we will be developing around 2000-3000 release strategies roles. But we only have around 1000 users in SAP.

I'm not in favor of this and would like to know the best way to approach this.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

when the number of roles for that 1 object is much more than the number of users I suggest to create a role per user. That role will contain all the release codes a user needs.

7 REPLIES 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is the " Release Strategy " May be we may know it by differnet nomencalture. please mention what you want to achevie.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Litz

A common approach with release strategies is to create a single role with only the relevant auth object & value in it. If you have 10 release strategies then create 10 roles containing M_EINK_FRG with the permutation you need. You can then assign this to the users as they need it rather than creating roles derived at both release strategy & org level.

Ensure that you remove the auth object from all the other roles to avoid confusion and then you only need 1 role per release strategy.

Hope that makes sense.

0 Kudos

Hi Litz,

As Alex told above, simply create a role with the specific object with release strategy (M_EINK_FRG). If you need to create a master role, you can create the master role with the transaction in example ME28 and the derived role only with the object (that's the way I'm working in the assignment that I'm in).

BR,

Lucas

0 Kudos

I'm ok with creating the release strategies roles. My only objection is that there are so many roles than the number of users. Not to mention the other roles for FI, MM, SD, and PM.

Isn't it recommended that the roles should be less than the users in SAP? What is the best approach so that creation of the release strategies roles is minimize? What is the best approach so that the roles do not outnumber the users in SAP?

0 Kudos

>

> I'm ok with creating the release strategies roles. My only objection is that there are so many roles than the number of users. Not to mention the other roles for FI, MM, SD, and PM.

Why are there more roles? Are you saying that there are 3000 different combinations of values required in that auth object?

>

> Isn't it recommended that the roles should be less than the users in SAP? What is the best approach so that creation of the release strategies roles is minimize? What is the best approach so that the roles do not outnumber the users in SAP?

It depends who you talk to about the recommended number of roles. I prefer to have fewer roles than users but it depends on a whole number of factors & there is no defacto answer. You can reduce number of roles by grouping common tasks into jobs or higher level functions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

when the number of roles for that 1 object is much more than the number of users I suggest to create a role per user. That role will contain all the release codes a user needs.

0 Kudos

i basically agree that there should not be more roles than users. But here we might just catch up with the exception.

Be sure to investigte why there are so many variants of the release roles. And also how solid is the release strategy. I have seen companies struggle with the concept which meant moving release roles from one user to an other user almost every day. If you would have build a role per user you would have to change the roles every day.

Divide the access request between release values and org values, than look at the way the org values are created and try to limit on all possible release values and all org variants the business is going to have. Be sure to ask for the users as well and which Releases each should have as you might see that not all possible variants will be needed !

Anyway the only real way to limit the number of roles will be to ask the business which combinations are going to be used. Normally i come to around 60% of the possible combinations