cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSDTC cluster on MSSQL 2005

ken_halvorsen2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I've searched the SAP Notes with out results, so am asking if anyone knows....

When installing MSSQL 2005 on a cluster we've been informed by the SQL DBA that the MSDTC must be clustered. But he needs to know if we can add the MSDTC to the SAP Cluster group.

I've suggested that there should be no problems, but would like confirmation.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't see any reason why this would cause any problem. Normally though this is added to the 'Cluster Group' which normally holds the Quorum drive, the Cluster Name, and the Cluster IP. This is where I would recommend put this resource.

ken_halvorsen2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Jared

They want to install the MSDTC on the same Drive as the SAP Executables. What is the best practise on this?

(This is the first time I've ever been asked about this, I was expecting the Server Management guys to have built it before handing it over for the SAP install)

Ken

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

As Jared mentioned, the best practice for the MSDTC on MSCS is to install it on the Cluster Group.

Zareh

Former Member
0 Kudos

The MSDTC service is normally installed on the C:, using C:\windows\system32\msdtc.exe. Yes the instlalation of this should have been handled by the Server guys.

I would bet that in your Computer Management that the service is already there and running. If that is the case, then just go create a new resource as type Distributed Transaction Coordinator in the Cluster Group.

ken_halvorsen2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Jared

I do have one more question though.

First, we installing on 64 bit servers now (wahoo). But shouldn't the msdtc be installed on a drive that can be failed over?

The Server Management team is suggesting this and thus the question in regards to installing on the SAP cluster.

Ken

Answers (0)