cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading a Microsoft Access file from client pc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

We have a specific requirement in which we need to read a Microsoft access database file which resides in the client pc.

The file will always be in a specific location in the client pc hard drive.

Is there any way to read this file and get the data into another oracle database?

Can any one help me out?

Thanks a lot

Shobin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai ,

we have one method in java RandomAccessfile using this we can read this file Remotetly .

regards,

venkat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I do not understand your point. Are you going just to read the file as it is via some network share path (1), or you are going to use this file as a DB file (2)?

(1) If you are talking about to read the file, you can use it directly through the java.io.* API. It does not matter if it resides remotely, you can use the share path to it, for example

java.io.InputStream in =
 new java.io.FileInputStream ("\\\\remotepc\\share\\myfile.txt");

You can use also RandomAccessFile class, or whatever you want.

(2) If you are going to read the database tables data from that file, then you have to register into the OS ODBC and you can also access it remotely via the standard jdbc-odbc bridge driver, as I said before. You just will have to take care about the host:port where the DB was registered.

Kind regards,

Tsvetomir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You will need to register that MS Access DB into the Windows Data Sources (ODBC) as a File DSN. Then you can use the standard jdbc-odbc bridge driver for accessing the data from the Access DB.

Kind regards,

Tsvetomir