cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JCo connection fails / entries in 'services' file

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am in trouble when I create my JCo : ping and test both fail for the metadata JCo (the modeldata is OK because I am not using load balancing on it). I know I have to create the following entry in the 'services' file of the J2EE server :

sapms<SID> 36<sysNumber>/tcp

But the server administrator doesn't want to do this because there is already an entry pointing to the same port number, and he thinks that may cause trouble if 2 entries point to the same port.

What do you think of this ? If you can't have to entries with the same port, how can you connect to 2 different backend with the same instance number ? I guess this is quite a common issue.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Julien

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hum...

I tried to write an entry with a port number that is not used in the file.

The last line of my etc/services file now looks like

sapmsDIA 3677/tcp

and the instance number is 00

And it does not work.

I had a look in the SLD and I saw that a message server port had been defined when the WAS ABAP technical system was created. Maybe the value has to be the same in the SLD and in the etc/services file ? Should I try to delete and recreate the technical system in the SLD with a different ms port number ?

Anyone ?

Julien

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Julien,

There should not be any problem if same port number is used for different sevice name.

I have specified same port number for three different services depending upon my three different SAP R/3 system.

So. try by giving 3600 as port number for your service.

Regards,

Bhavik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yasu, Bhavik,

thank you for answering.

We finally decided to create the entry with the same port number (3600) as the one which was already there. Since then it has been working all the time. No conflict or strange error messages.

So Bhavik you were right.

Best regards,

Julien

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

yasu_ramaiah
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello

The services entry is made on the server (i.e. the system which host the SAP R/3 system, eg. dev, prod, stg).

The entry "sapms<SID> port-num/tcp" means that a service is avialble at the port-num. Which means that a single port cannot be used for 2 different services.

The problem in your case could be a tab issue. Say

"sapmsNSP 3600/tcp" could be seperated by a tab key which some times does not work on the unix systems.

Just seperate the port number with a space.

thanks,

yasu