cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running SAP on 64 bit Laptops with 8 GB?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Most of our Developer's Workplace systems are running on XP with 2 GB of memory. The J2EE server takes at least 15-30 minutes to start.

We have noticed that 64 bit laptops with 8GB of memory are now available with Vista. But this setup does not yet seem to be supported by SAP.

Anyone have success running SAP on such laptops? Maybe using VMWare and Windows 2003 Server? Or perhaps with 64 bit XP OS?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers ... Bart

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Most of our Developer's Workplace systems are running on XP with 2 GB of memory. The J2EE server takes at least 15-30 minutes to start.

We have noticed that 64 bit laptops with 8GB of memory are now available with Vista. But this setup does not yet seem to be supported by SAP.

No - you´re right - Vista is not yet supported.

Anyone have success running SAP on such laptops? Maybe using VMWare and Windows 2003 Server? Or perhaps with 64 bit XP OS?

If you put something like VMWare in between your native OS the startup will be even slower. If you want to use such setups I would recommend installing Windows 2003 x64 directly on the machine.

The major reason for the "slowlyness" of the laptops is not only the amount of memory but mainly the slow harddisks (5,400 rpms IDE/ATA).

Markus

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>The J2EE server takes at least 15-30 minutes to start.

Here, on high end servers (8 64 bit itanium processors, 32 GB ram, SAN storage), the J2EE server takes also more than 10 minutes to startup...

On the same hardware, the Abap stack takes less than 30 seconds to start up....

So, I'm really not sure it will be worth to upgrade your workstations...

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus, Olivier,

Thanks for you comments. Greatly appreciated.

I get the feeling that not many people are running 64 bit laptops and using a 64 bit SAP WAS software.

I would have thought that there would be some laptops out there with both Linux (for SAP) and Windows for office applications. Or maybe the Windows 2003 64 bit server on a laptop. But I have not run into anybody yet who is doing that.

Thanks for your inputs and anyone else who is thinking about this issue.

Cheers .. Bart

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Also keep in mind that running the 32bit Eclipse on 64bit OS is not officially supported, I´m sure it works but in case of problems... you know...

We solved this by having one big machine (48 GB RAM), installing there multiple virtualized XP instances and only the Developer Studio. Each of those Developer Studio instance has its own J2EE "backend" also on that box - virtualized. This enables us to use a central backup mechanism for all and using some kind of "image copy" if a new service pack is coming out. We install it once on one XP machine and copy the images over to the other XP "instances". The developers connect to those XP machines using RDP which means, however, that they need to be online.

Markus