cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing a Dialog Instance on a new server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I'm about to install a Dialog instance on a new server and i have two questions:

1. What is the media I need? Can I get everything from the Marketplace..?

2. Is there any installation guide?

Regards,

Samer

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

You do not need a separate media than you have. In SAPInst, just drill down the structure to find installation of a dialog instance option.

And all details can be found in installation manual itself. Please take a closer look.

regards, Sean.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sameer,

If i m not wrong,

You already have a central instance on one machine and you trying to put the dialog instance on the new machine.

So,you have call up the dialog installation in the new host.There you have to specify path of Central instance.

You have to give this way,

<systemname>\sapmnt\<SID>\SYS\profile

But,to acces this Central instance,

The user with which you are doing the dialog instance should be the "Domain"

user.Or else,it cannot access the instance on the other machine.

Unfortunately,you donot have installation guide separately for dialog installation.You can refer any Installation guide,which have a paragraph

explanation on this.

It is better,if you can do the dialog installation on the same machine,which has the central instance.

Other notes,which may give you information on Heterogenous sytem setup are,

Regards

Usha

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank you guys very much, ill go through the notes and post again after that!

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi all,

I've finally setup our new Dialog instance. It is set on a separate server.

I have followed the direction on http://sap-info.org/snotes/SN10/pdf, I've completed step 22 but haven't yet started the new instance. As I had few wanderings before I do that.

As the Instance is on another server, how do we move users to connect to the Dialog Instance? Or do they automatically get moved there? Or does the Dialog Instance take care of the abap programs in the background only? Or do we have to configure Dynamic Load balancing and User Groups?

Thank you in advance!

Samer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The Dialog Instance is just a instance to connect to the same database, so users log-in to the same database and access the same programs from another instance thatz it. Hence no question of executing diferent set of ABAP programs or in background.

The users will log-in to the Dialog Instance using the i.p. of the Dialog Instance and the instance number you provide during installation. However, they use the same SID - as it is a part of the same SAP System.

You can configure logon load balancing via SMLG but that is only if you want the performance to be balanced (or the load) across the central and dialog instance.

Hope this is helpful.

Reg, Dibya

vincentlim826
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

instances are to be registered to Message Server, and Message Server will check and forward the incoming requests to instances according to available resources and loads.

You can of course configure load balancing, which is typical practice.

see more links:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/c4/3a64b4505211d189550000e829fbbd/frameset.htm

cheers,

Vincent