SAP for Higher Education and Research Discussions
Spark conversations about student engagement, research optimization, and administrative efficiency using SAP in higher education and research. Join in!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Module booking VSR - concern on performance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We plan to use VSR to implement very complex eligibility and checks of module booking process for one of Korean university.

Due to tight go live schedule, I need to validate this phases from CookBook urgently. Performance is crucial here because we expect about 2,000 students will try to complete course enrollment within 10 minutes. Students are competing to be enrolled popular courses.

"Academic call-up points have the advantage that rule containers can be attached to an object of the academic structure, so the attached rule containers are valid only for a part of the academic structure. The disadvantage is that the retrieval of all rule containers in the academic structure needs a lot of time (dependent of the complexity of the academic structure)."

I remembered that CM "VSR rule set" could be deployed(?) to SAP Web Application Server to achieve better performance - am not 100% sure which document I read (can't locate source)

Are there special measures & considerations to prevent performance related risks when we have to use complex academic and non academic VSR/BADi for module booking? i.e. there are more than 50 module booking eligibility and filtering Check requirements for this university.

Please, help!

Thanks in advance,

SJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Two points here:

1) If you can at all wait for EHP4 (ramp up in 4Q2008), we have a new pre-requisite framework for complex booking checks that does not use VSR at all. Essentially you will be able to atach 'audit-like' sub-requirements (both index-dependent and index-independent) as pre or co-requisites for modules.

2) If you must use VSR now, please consider that all VSR rules are essentially compliled into one giant ABAP program. As your number of rules reaches into the hundreds or thousands, you may encounter performance issues. To this end, you should, wherever possible, try to write GENERIC VSR rules which dynamically consult a customter table to manage the booking checks.

The performance related to retrieval of rules from the structure of course depends on how 'deep' your structure is, and whether you try to look for rules far 'up the chain'. If your rules are usually attahced directly to the object that uses them (e.g. directly to the module), then you should not be too concerned (althought he issue #2 I mentioned above still applies).

Michael

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Two points here:

1) If you can at all wait for EHP4 (ramp up in 4Q2008), we have a new pre-requisite framework for complex booking checks that does not use VSR at all. Essentially you will be able to atach 'audit-like' sub-requirements (both index-dependent and index-independent) as pre or co-requisites for modules.

2) If you must use VSR now, please consider that all VSR rules are essentially compliled into one giant ABAP program. As your number of rules reaches into the hundreds or thousands, you may encounter performance issues. To this end, you should, wherever possible, try to write GENERIC VSR rules which dynamically consult a customter table to manage the booking checks.

The performance related to retrieval of rules from the structure of course depends on how 'deep' your structure is, and whether you try to look for rules far 'up the chain'. If your rules are usually attahced directly to the object that uses them (e.g. directly to the module), then you should not be too concerned (althought he issue #2 I mentioned above still applies).

Michael