cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BI 7: Background activation very slow compared to Dialog activation

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are using the SAP BI 7.0 with SP15 and this question is about efficiency of dialog process compared to inefficiency of the background process and I want suggestions from SAP Basis/BI experts on this.

We have observed that our background processes on BI server are not running as efficiently as we would like them to run.

For example

DSO activation:

When I use u201CDialogu201D mode for DSO Activation with 3 parallel processes, I can activate a certain DSO with in 15 seconds. But the same DSO and the same data package when activated using u201Cbackgroundu201D mode with 3 parallel process takes about 15 minutes.(there are plenty of background processes available on the system when this activation is running). So dialog process runs 60 times faster than background process.

We saw the job log in SM37 when activation was running in the background mode and log showed that system

u201CProgram RSBATCH_EXECUTE_PROZESS successfully scheduled as job BIBCTL_49VQYEYSLA9SH00QBYNN3MTUV with ID XXXXXu201D was executed internally about 100 times.

In BI 7 most of the operations can be executed only in the background parallel mode. And from the activation example we know that our background processes are not as efficient as dialog processes. It is understood that in general the background processes will not be as efficient as dialog processes, but in our case the difference is a factor of 60. We want help to identify, why the background processes are not as efficient as dialog processes. Any suggestion or help will be highly appreciated. This may be System Bug in SAP BI 7

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am in BI-7.0, EHP1, SP5 and we are presenting the same problem.

Program RSBATCH_EXECUTE_PROZESS successfully scheduled as job BIBCTL_XXXXXX with ID XXXXXu201D was executed internally about 1000 times and sequentially!!, take longgg time.

anybody found the solution

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We have recently upgraded our BI 7.0 from SP12 to EHP1 SPS06. We are facing this slowness issue after the upgrade.

I have written to SAP. We never faced this slowness when we are at SP12. We tried all the combinations at RSODSO_SETTINGS but not luck.

Has anyone found a solution?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Our Issue is resolved.

the problem was that someone has entered the user ALEREMOTE as debug user in the global settings. (RSA1)

We have removed this global settings for the debug user and now the process chain is running faster

Regards

Senthil

former_member182537
Active Participant
0 Kudos

hi guys,

any advice on this -i have 10 million records in my dso in a request so does activation in dialog mode help in this case ..if i use 10 parallel process at a time..

currentlt it takes 2-3 hours ..

any inputs?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Any people got this issue solved? I'm currently on SP22 and I experienced the problem. This problem did not exist when we are on SP12.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Change the settings in RSODSO_SETTING for one DSO intially and check.

Just change the Background Mode to Dialogue, I wud say---Try it and paste the results plz.

Thanks,

-Su

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are on SP20 and running into the same issue. Any help would be wonderful. Our ODS that used to take an hour to activate is now taking 4 hours.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm curious if reducing the rdisp/btctime value (it's dynamically switchable) would help. It's not a proper solution but it could be a workaround. That's assuming it creates these 100 background jobs one after another, each having to wait for the start interval.

sap_cohort
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks, I don't think that would help. The problem is that each job out of the ~70 jobs of RSBATCH_EXECUTE_PROZESS that get scheduled, each one takes about 6 seconds to schedule according to the log. so whether it's 1 or 4000 records my activation is taking about 4-5 minutes.

I'm really at a loss how to speed up my activations in this case.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Has anyone identified a solution?

Even with support pack 19 the problem is still occurring

Thanks

sap_cohort
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am having this same issue in SP15. Did you find any solution?

I am finding my activation is slow for the number of records being activated. The process RSBATCH_EXECUTE_PROZESS successfully scheduled as job BIBCTL_49VQYEYSLA9SH00QBYNN3MTUV with ID XXXXXu201D was executed internally about many, many times. And if you look at the aggregate time of all of these schedulings this is what is taking soo much time. Our batch job table is not large so this is not the problem.

Any more ideas?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eswaran,

I discussed this with some colleagues, and it may be possible that you have found a bug. Please open a message with SAP Support on this issue.

Best Regards,

Matt