cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful logs and trace files

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts, for our Netweaver AS administration, I am in charge of periodically checking logs and trace files. I would like to know which are the most useful logs and trace files and the information each one will hold. I am familiar with "DefaultTrace.trc", and as of today it is the only one I have used, but I believe I should also be looking at other logs and trace files.

Any suggestions?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

On your java stack std_server<node>.out and std_dispatcher.out are some files which you should be monitoring often.

Garbage colllections, Out of memory error and any services which have stopped are reported in this file.

Thanks & Regards,

Vijith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, thanks for the answer. I tried to find those files (std_server<node>.out and std_dispatcher.out) and found them on /usr/sap/<SID>/<InstanceID>/work but after checking them out, I only found certain information about services being started or stopped. Am I looking in the right place?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pedro,

If you are talking about JAVA only system defaulttrace is the best log/trace to look, there are other log files like application log, but maybe the best way to check you logs is using NWA (NetWeaver Administrator) on the following URL on your JAVA system:

http://<hostname>:<port>/nwa

From there you need to go to Monitoring -> Logs and Traces and then Predefined View/SAP logs.

My other recommendation is to change the severity level to ERROR for all you JAVA component within the Visual Administrator -> ServeNode -> Services -> Log Configurator -> Locations, otherwise it is possible that you see a lot of garbage on the defaulttraces. Anyway you can change the severity level per component, on demand, to investigate any possible problem.

The work directory is very imporant and maybe you can also check the file "dev_serverX" that also will give you information about any out of memory conditions and garbage collection activity if you have these values set for the server node using the config tool:

-verbose:gc

-XX:+PrintGCDetails

-XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps

You can find more information on here:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/ac/e9d8a51c732e42bd0e7de54b9ff4e2/content.htm

Hopefully this help you, let me know if you need more information,

Zareh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Zareh, sorry for the delay. Yes, this is what I was looking for, although we are using a JAVA + ABAP system. I am marking the question as answered, but if there is anything else I need to know about logs and traces to cover the ABAP part, I would appreciate that you point them out to me. Thank you very much for your help!

Answers (0)