Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing project definition assignment number

raghavendra_praveen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I wanted to change a project definition number of a project which is in use for couple of years and financials have been posted on its WBS element.

How to do it and if i can change will it have any impact in subsequent usage? on reporting?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

raghavendra_praveen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Answered.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I agree with Mike. Evenif, the PD/WBS numbers can be changed, it is not advisable for reasons sited by him.

Muraleedharan.R

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't believe you can change this field. The project # is controlled by the mask and unless you want to change it to another number that fits into that mask, you just can't do it, as the mask won't change. Even if you could change it, I would not recommend it. Your WBS elements will still carry the old project # in the their #s. The problem is that when postings are made into FI/CO the actual WBS element # (not the internal one) is captured in a field and if you make the WBS element # change, reporting will be a bit screwed up in FI/CO.

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is the field greyed out?

I can't think of any impact and project definition is not account assigned object. Ensure you keep the project definition unique.

If users are aware of this change, it shouldn't cause any problem understanding the report output.

Regards

Sreenivas

raghavendra_praveen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

The field is not greyed out.

Is it the case for WBS elements also?

Does the project version have any impact on these?

Please explain me.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don't think even WBS number change will have any impact as long as it's kept unique. System will always have a unique internal ID for all WBS elements and this would not change if you change the external ID.

But you can't change the WBS which as status TECO/CLSD. Not sure about how it behaves in versions. Worth simulating

Regards

Sreenivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Conflicting reponses Michal and mine. Suggest you to simulate this and let us know the outcome/views please.

Regards

Sreenivas