cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Backup End to End Automation with BRBACKUP and RMAN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are about to implement a Oracle on mySAP 2004 or 2004 i.e. either NW2004 or NW2004s. Currently we are on DB2 UDB.

We are going to use legato for backup.

legato networker module (I guess this is module built for BACKINT) for SAP is too costly, so we are looking at alternatives for backup using legato without using networker module.

We have virtual tape library (disk that emulates as tape library). we plan to keep 30 days/versions of backup there.

Can we use BRBACKUP and RMAN to achieve end to end backup automation without using networker module by using the BRBACKUP delivered options and integrating to RMAN.

I do see BRBACKUP options like tape_box and pipe_box. Are these will be useful to achieve this.

Other question is do we really need to integrate with RMAN. What are the advantages.

So far I see the advantages with RMAN are 1. incremental backups. 2. Online backups are handled more consistently than normal.

Appreciate your information.

Thank you,

Ravi Gandavarapu.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

Yes, we have SAN storage. Also thinking to use split-mirror for production.

Do this need legato networker module. Or we can put a script without out the module also?

>>There is one little complexity to this but if you're interested I'll explain it. <<

Would you please explain what it is ?

Again for my dev and qa systems we are not planning split-mirror.

My plan is to back them up straight to VTL (disk based). Do you think using RMAN here helps (because of incremental) ?

I was recently going through 10g features. Looks like 10g has a feature that you can merge incremental with level0. Does brbackup supports this?

Appreciate your info.

Ravi Gandavarapu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

do you use SAN storage? Can you get split-mirror backups? If so, just put all tablespaces into hotbackup mode with a script, then split the volumes to the backup server, take tablespaces out of hotbackup mode with script, start tape backup on backup server. There is one little complexity to this but if you're interested I'll explain it.

In my research of RMAN, I came to a similar conclusion. It is useful for incremental backups, but only if a) you can't do split-mirror backups or b) your database is enormous and just can't be backed up within management windows.