cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Career help. Whether to stay with Xi or to take up ABAP with webdynpro ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a situation where in I would like to get some professional help from you people here. I am sorry if I am expecting too much. And please caution me if this question is not supposed to be asked here.

The situation is that I have completed my Xi training and currently searching for a job. Earlier to this I have also done ABAP training. Recently I got an offer on ABAP Webdynpro . I said them clearly that I have no idea regarding it. Convinced over my knowledge on both Xi and ABAP, they are interested in offering me a scope in WD4A, with training, prior to deployment in the project . My doubt is that, if to wait for an Xi oppurtunity or accept the current offer and go get the desperately needed break. My conscious is dominating me to opt for the second one but at the same time very much interested in working with Xi as I am totally involved in it. The organisation which made the offer is running on SAP 4.7c and looking for an upgrade to ECC 6.0. I asked if they have any plans of deploying xi in near future and they replied that they are not sure enough because of the expensive license issue. In that case, I may have to give up Xi .

So kindly reply if you have any kind of suggestions over the issue. I am extremely thankful for sparing your valuable time in reading this thread.

Thank you all,

Krishna.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

AS per my view, none of the technology is of least priority nither ABAP nor Web Dynpro or XI. You should be ready to accept this new kind of task. Just think in Positive way as you have the knowledge of ABAP, XI and now opportunity for Web Dynpro. Being multi skillsets is really good thing as per current Market requirments.

Today you might have preference for XI but tomorrow you don't know you may have better demand for Web Dynpro. Its my humble suggestion that to grab the current opportuniy and learn new things.

In XI, if you see there are many experts available , but there are very few who might have Multi Skill Sets.

Don't plan your Carreer Visions as per company's future plans. Are you going to stay in same company forever.....???? May be but you should develope your skill sets from the existing opportunities.

Currently you got opportunity on Web Dynpro. ..tomorrow there will be the company who might be looking for Web Dynpro XI combinations,, so better to take the existing opportunity.

Side by Side you can develope your own knowledge via self study..i.e. the best way I feel.

Thanks

Swarup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Swaroop, it was a very good explanation by you. It has logical, carrer and corporate point of views. I admit, it's better to have multiple skills than to stick on to only single technology, especially technical upgradation is the best thing one can come up with. Moreover an offer in a hand is more precious than the one to wait for. I am sure I have got the guidance I am expecting for, by you. Your suggestion has been valuable to me to make my decision and as you said I'll go for it. I thank you very much for helping me out.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

vijay_b4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

As Swarup said accept the offer you got.you cant predict the future, if you are learning anything do become master if not atleast learn to the maximum extent , then you ll surely have future in whatever you do.As XI is a middleware,it is better to have experience on ABAP.Programming experience will defenetly helps in your future.

All the best..

Reward points if this helps

Regards

Pragathi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I Thank you Pragathi. As you said I shall be very attentive and try to get good grip on what I learn from now. Always hard work and strength at the subject level pays off. It was swaroop who initiated the directive but your advice is well considered and important too. Thanks again for sharing views. Points rewarded.