cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing the administration in implementation projects

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have been using the Solution Manager in implementation projects for 2 years now. However, I'm having difficulty on managing the project schedule using the administration tab in transaction solar01 and solar02:

1. Unlike MS project, for example, you cannot define a connection/ link between the structure elements, which means that if you have to change the start time for a process in the administration tab, i.e., it has no effect on the other processes/ steps' start time, even when you know that there should be an effect.

2. You cannot put partial person days, for example 1.5 PD or 0.4 PD.

3. As far as I know, if you export the project structure to a MS Project file, it is not possible to import the changes made in the file back to the Solution Manager.

For that reasons, some customers and project managers prefer to export the project structure to MS Project and manage the project schedule and resources in that separated file.

I would appreciate it if you could give me an advise based on your experience, on how to better manage the times in an implementation project, using the Solution Manager.

Thank you,

Adi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Adi,

I have also been using SolMan since May 2004 (from 3.1 days). Unfortunately, in my view, the functionality of Admin Tab hasn't kept up in pace as with other features of SolMan.

My suggestion is not to use it for active day-to-day tracking for the limitations you have pointed out as also for it not being the best-of-breed to manage Project Plans of a multi-location, multi-stream project.

I have, at best, used Admin Tab for Keywords and Team members - for information sake.

Also, if you use a Template Project -> Implementation Project copy, Admin tab is not included as part of 'Compare and Adjust' functionality - which means that if the same Team Members and Keywords are required on Implementation Project, you cannot get them inherited.

I am sorry that my answer kind of confirms your findings and helplessness as opposed to providing any solution. But, that's my honest sum-up as well.

Regards,

Srini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Srini,

Thank you for your answer. I just needed to hear it from someone else who works with the SolMan...

Best Regards,

Adi