Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PARAMETER CHANGING

former_member829550
Active Participant
0 Kudos

hi frnds,

recently, our system went to go-live.

in the sap report, it has been mentioned to change or introduce some db parameters.

can any body tell me the sql commands to alter the system parameters and events.

like, ALTER SYSTEM ..........SCOPE..............

please tell me the complete commands to change the parameters and events as specified above.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member829550
Active Participant
0 Kudos

thanks nilesh

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can use BR*TOOLS to change the parameters, the syntax will be shown there.

And:

you are really running a production system without being educated in administering Oracle? Uff...I HIGHLY suggest to get a course on Oracle administration!

Markus

former_member829550
Active Participant
0 Kudos

hi markus,

inorder to keep the consistency between init<DBSID> file and SPFILE, it is appropriate to make changes to the parameters from the sql level.

so can u plz suggest me how to make these changes from the sql commands.

i have gone through the brtools commands but i didn't get any thing like sql commands related to chaging parameters .

in which options of the brtools i can find these commands.

i came through commands like the following, ru saying about these commands.

[-p initEC6.sap -s 20 -l E -f dbparam]

Actually i trying these options on my IDES system.

If it is successful then i will implement them on the production system.

Edited by: mudari bhupesh on May 24, 2008 9:29 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhupesh,

You need to logon to the system with ora<sid> connect to the Database and you can change the DB parameter with the SQL command. Do not change your spfile with vi editor or notepad. It is a binary file and can crash your instance if changes made directly to the spfile.

Instead use BRTOOLS or sql commands.

syntax:

alter system set <parameter_name/EVENT> = .... scope = memory|spfile|both|sid...

the options works like this

memory - changes recorded in the memory, it is however not recorded in the spfile and the changes are lost after restart of the instance

spfile - parameters are changed and recorded in the spfile, the changes will only take place after next restart

both - default option and is valid immediately and permanentely and also will be available in spfile for use after restart

sid - <SID> | *, To assign it to speific instance mention <SID> or to delete the paramter mention *

Hope this information helps you.

Refer note 601157 - Oracle9i: Server Parameter File, to understand more about functions of spfile.

Regards,

Nilesh

former_member829550
Active Participant
0 Kudos

HI NILESH,

thanx for ur reply,

i have another scenario, in which i changed the parameter values ursing BRTOOLS commands.

after setting the parameters, think that i committed a mistake in the settings. Now, my question is, can i bring the same parameter setting s as it was before the change done.

bcoz using sql commands we can directly change. can this be done using BRTOOLS also.

eg :- btree_bitmap_plans i made changes to this parameter using brtools.

now, i made a mistake i want the changes to be undone.

how can i do it using brtools.

replys to this will be appreciated..........

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhupesh,

Your select the same parameter via BRTOOLS and undo the changes and save them. This action will update your profile file and the parameter will be affective after next restart.

Regards,

Nilesh