Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Shipping / Logistics expert wants to change his career into SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I am new in this group therefore first of all I want to say Hi

I have been working in shipping and logistics business for more than 9 years and I want to change my career into SAP but I do not know how to do it...

I used to work for one of the biggest shipping line and currently I am working for a logistics company In the UK.

In regard to having an electronics degree from high-school and being capable of learning and adapting new computer programs, I have been responsible as the super user of mostly oracle based software that was implemented in all my former companies. As being the super user, I was assigned to train the other departments about these software as well as carrying out my own responsibilities in the sales department.

As a result of these trainings, I am quite acknowledged about the requirements and problems the other departments can have regarding these programs. For the last few months, I have been considering to shift my career into IT department with making use of both my computer skills and shipping industry experience.

Would you pls tell me what should I do? Is it enough to being expert in shipping and logistics business or should I take some course which is quite expensive.

Kind Regards,

Okan Bak

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For me, your skills and experience, it looks, suitable to enter in to SAP as SAP functional consultant. Your shipping industry experience and Logistics experience will help you to work as functional consultant. One needs to have Business process knowledge of particular function(like logistics, sales, finance) and related module configuration knowledge. Your profile suits for the position as a SAP MM or LE (Logistics Execution) or SRM consultant. So, try to learn either of these modules. If you can do certification in any of the above modules, it will be a added advantage. Certification fees will be 500 USD. Welcome to SAP. All the best.

Thanks

Ram

Assign points if useful.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

Thank you so much for your help...

I am living in the UK and the courses I found are pretty expensive but I think I will take one.

As I do not have any technical degree or experiences, do you think after I get my certificate is it easy to find a job in the business?

Best regards,

Okan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Okan,

SAP today is in dearth of quality functional consultants.I'm myself a functional SAP CRM (Customer relationship management) consultant and i face this in every project.

Today being a consultant i can understand the client requirements more effiectively, i think this will be your plus as well.

I read your qualifications i think SAP SD (Sales and distribution) should be your cup of tea because it largely deals with logistics and vendor management.

You can either go in for a formal training in SAP SD which is one of the most ever green modules of SAP or since you have a working experience in Oracle the same counterpart module is also available in Oracle as well.

My take would be SAP simply because of it's huge market share and opportunities, rest is up to you .Technology wise your time and money invested will be almost the same ..

Hope it helps

Regards

Raj