Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DMS Installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am new to DMS.

I have few questions.Please clarify

1. What is DMS exactly.Is it part of Knowledge Management.

2. If it is part of KM can we install it together with EP?

3. Can we install it on the same server on ECC or APO or SRM.

4. What kind of hardware you suggest if we install it with any other server mentioned above.

Please reply.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Abhilasha

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

1.DMS is document management system which deales with all types of Documents which u use in ur day to day business and u want to keep them for record purpose or future reference. DMS is cross component application which is no where depends on ur enterprise structure, and its not a part of ur KM

2. Yes u can integrate DMS with EP to access Documents through Web

3.Yes u can install on ECC server

4.As DMS is part of ur R/3 server and u dont need any special hardware, but if u want to keep all ur documents in content server then u need to calculate the size required, and its depends on again ur legacy document size, future plan to use(In termas of yrs), avg increase of documents/yr, finaly the application types which u want upload(Jpg, cad, docs, pdf, tiff etc)

award points if useful

regards

Sham

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Sham,

Thanks for your reply.

just to consolidate.I can install DMS on ECC server.Or it directly gets installed when we install ECC.I think it gets install just we need to do some config changes.

"if u want to keep all ur documents in content server then u need to calculate the size required, and its depends on again ur legacy document size, future plan to use(In termas of yrs), avg increase of documents/yr, finaly the application types which u want upload(Jpg, cad, docs, pdf, tiff etc)"

what is the requirement for content server.Do we need any other server to install content server?or can we install it on the same server as ECC.

Thanks for your reply.Awarded points.

Regards,

Abhilasha

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

content server is separate server where exactly ur documents reside and ur metadatas will be reside in sap data base. whenever u request for documents through client, content serve will provide link to access those documents. For that u need to install content server and need to integrate with ur sap server by sending certificate to r/3 server throug CSADMIN.

For harware sizing for content server i have mensioned those key points.

regards

sham

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Shyam,

sorry for late reply.

\One small doubt.I have all the infor u mentioned as a key point for hardware sizing of content server.

But how do i do actual sizing.Is there any formula.I checked the quick sizing tool.There is no DMS server or content server.

Do we need to use record management for sizing.Is it same??

Please help.

Thanks,

Abhilasha

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi.

there is no standard formula for actual sizing,

u can ref below one to arrive ur actual sizing

Say after calculating the total size of all application with compression ration u get say 796 GB = (A)

Add 25% for DB tables = 796+25%A= 996=(B)

Add 20% for DB log space = 996+20%B=1195=(c)

Document increase per yr 20%

First yr =195+20%C = D( 1434)

second yr = D+20%D = E(1720)

third yr = E + 20%E = F(2064)

--

--

Say for Three yr Plan u should have 2064 GB size( 2 TB)

If u want for more yr just cumulate the Value

Award points if useful

Regards

Sham

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

SAP DMS is a crosss application component.

you can install it on same ECC server.

No special requirement for DMs , same as ECC server.

but for file storage you need content server.

regards

nitin

award point if useful