cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any third party component required to run SAP Mobile ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

What 3rd party mobile components are required to run SAP mobile (E.g DB2e)? Do any of them require separate licensing thatu2019s not covered by the SAP licence?

Thanks in Advance,

Dharani

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sapna_jgurudutt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Dharani,

All MI Customers who need DB2e must download the DB2e from the Service Marketplace. Please check whether you are able to download DB2E from the Service Marketplace.If you are getting any error "No Data Available" while trying to download,it may be because you do not have the permissions to download this software and you may have to purchase the license for that software. In this case, please contact your local SAP sales office regarding purchasing of the software.

Best Regards,

Sapna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sapna,

Thanks for the input.

Can you please give me your view on th below queries?

Q3 Can data be encrypted (https) /compressed over the wire? Is this a typical setup?

Q3.1 Can we use 3G as well as GPRS?

Q3.2 To minimise bandwidth requirements, is it possible to only send data that has changed (we believe that this is a feature of the 7.1 mobile release).

Q3.3 Thinking of the standard XML messages passed between the mobile and the back end, could you give an average message size so we could get a feel for GPRS costs?

Q3.4 Are we limited to XML messages for integration with other systems? Are alternatives (like file drops) available?

Thanks in Advance,

Dharani

former_member304703
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dharani,

SAP Mobile includes three very different technologies that target different mobile user groups and devices:

WebDynpro Online

CRM Offline for laptop

Mobile Infrastructure

Based on metntioning 7.1 I believe your questions are related to SAP Netweaver Mobile Infrastructure. if yes, here are the answers:

Q3 - yes, it depends on how you install DB2E add-on on mobilde device (there is an encrypted version)

Q3.1 - yes, if you check MI requirements you will see that MI specifies that devices has to be able run java and establish http connection by any means, WLAN, LAN, GRRS, 3G, etc.

Q3.2 - even in lower version of MI (like MI2.5 or MI7.0), not just MI7.1, when data is synchronised it is only delta exchange: only data that has changed on the device since the last sync is sent to the backend, and data changed on the backend sent to the device.

Q3.3 - mobile device is not exchanging xml messages with the backend if it runs application built with MI technology. Device only exchanges data with the middleware via http connection. Message size will not do you any good to estimate GPRS costs - you need to know first how much data is going to be exchanged between device and backend which depends on business processes as well as what type of application you are going to be using SmartSync versus Generic Sync. You can search service marketplace for a document called "Sizing mySAP Mobile Business" that will give you a methodology how to do sizing analysis for exisiting SAP Mobile app or a custom built one.

Q3.4 MI assumes that backend is SAP system. Mobile Infrastructure does not have web-services implemented yet, I have seen information that it is being discussed for implelementation in MI7.1 by the end of 2008. I beleive you will need to have SAP PI as well if you want to integrate it with a non-SAP backend.

Regards,

Larissa Limarova

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Larissa Limaravo,

Thank you so much for you detailed answer.

Can you please let me know your view on this please.

Q4 What do we get in terms of remote management (i.e. any of the security points above plus deployment of software and remote support)? Is there any benefit in moving to 7.1 from 7?

Thinking of the supplied XAPPS that are available with SAP mobile, how configurable are they in terms of:

Q5

u2022 Adding new fields (both for info in the field and for engineers to return additional data).

u2022 Changes to validation.

u2022 Changes to workflow within the application.

u2022 Anything else!

Q5.1 Is there an IDE or tool available for implementing configuration changes?

Q5.2 What weu2019re after here is a feel for the overall influence on functionality, expressed as a percentage (e.g. 0 no influence to 100% complete control), which can be achieved with configuration?

Q5.3 Typically, who is responsible for making configuration changes, would it be possible to do this in-house or would we require experienced consultants? If this is a split between the 2 could we get a feel based on the most commonly requested changes?

Q5.4 With regard to customizing supplied XAPPs or writing our own, would we be talking Java development through webdyn pro? How would customisation impact patching and upgrades of the SAP infrastructure?

Q6 Our assumption is that SAP mobile solutions are only suitable for SAP backend systems owing to the tight integration. In your experience, has anyone successfully implemented a SAP mobile solution on a non SAP backend system? Would you, as experienced SAP consultants, recommend such a venture?

Q6.1 How would we go about integration of other systems on the mobile device? For example GPS, Barcode, Cameras or other applications like boiler diagnostics. Again, can you break this down into tasks that can be performed in house vs. tasks that are typically performed by experienced consultants?

Q6.2 This is a bit of a vague question so I must apologies in advance: Company will ultimately control our production environment but weu2019d be interested in having some control to be able to deploy configuration changes without having to bother them. If you could suggest if and how this arrangement would be implemented, then I can approach company to assess the feasibility.

Thanks in Advance,

Dharani

Answers (0)