cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cProjects - locking logic in the project structure

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I'm working on cProjects 4.5, and I notice something very ennoying.

When I open a project throught the "projects" menu, then I lock all the project. I'm the only one able to open any element in the project.

When I open a project element (a task for instance) through the "tasks" menu, it seems I lock only this element. But even if I'm the administrator, I'm not able to create subtasks, assign a role to this task or to update sub-elements in the hierarchy. Whereas it's feasible when I open the project throught the "projects" menu.

Does it mean that several users cannot work at the same time on different project elements in the same project???

Thanks for your feedback.

Matthias

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

For your information, we are developping our own logic by modifying the standard programs, so that several users can work at the same time in the same project (on different tasks or roles of course).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Matthias,

We are having a similar issue with locking. Basically, whilst a user is in a Checklist Item, the whole phase that it belongs to getting locked. We also want to customise the lock Logic. I would greatly appreciate your help, if you can share some information on which programs did you have to customise. Following is the link to the thread that I posted on the forum. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Gopal

former_member709139
Discoverer
0 Kudos

FYI,

Locking structures is more peculiar in cProjects than in Project System and we found there was a real lack of information on the topic. The obvious locking functionality you would expect by opening an entire project from the project tab in change mode applies and as you expect this will lock anyone else from working on any project element. The locking design holds together from the dashboards for users who are processing individual tasks or checklist items and these do no interfere with each other as you would expect. The problem for users arises when a project manager user wants to maintain the project at the same time other users have individual tasks and/or checklist item open. In PS, if you open the project in change mode in Project Builder you would see the locked items greyed out and would have access to change the rest of the project. This is a sensible design and it took us some time to find the equivalent in cProjects:

If a project manager wants to maintain checklist items while other users are processing, then they can open the project using the Search function on the Checklists tab. By default, the Project Definition is not locked and the PM can use the Display/Change icon to toggle into change mode for individual objects not locked by another user. Note that if the checklists belong to a parent Phase, the system puts a lock on the phase. We encountered this when trying to open the project from the Projects tab. A PM is not allowed to make any changes to elements in that Phase once someone has a checklist item open in change mode.

If a project manager wants to maintain Tasks while other users are processing, then they can open the project using the Search function on the Tasks tab. By default, the Project Definition is not locked and the PM can use the Display/Change icon to toggle into change mode for individual objects not locked by another user. You can also navigate down to sub-Tasks and maintain them using the Display/Change icon.

You may want to consider setting up some of your users to default to Display mode on their user settings. We considered this for checklist and task recipients whereby they needed to toggle to change mode if they wanted to make a confirmation. Otherwise, they are display and therefore reduce the instances of locking objects when they donu2019t intend to make a change.

As a PM, you have the option to use the Search function to open individual Tasks and Checklist items by their ID numbers, but found this to be pretty clunky. Additionally, if two PM's want to work on different parts of the Project structure (which is desired for the current client), then opening the project from the Tasks tab is the most user friendly way.

Useful info we found included:

1) http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_05/helpdata/EN/4a/4896ccec6542afe10000000a421138/frameset.htm

2) OSS Note 669173

3) http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_05/helpdata/EN/4a/4896ccec6542afe10000000a421138/frameset.htm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

To overcome the locking of cprojects we have used FES( Fast entry screen ) for staffing .we have customised the whole staffing process .The Role staffing status are totally controller by customization .

The locking system works like, if an item is open then it puts a exclusive lock where in the person who is already editing can only do changes and save. when we move to FES then it puts a shared lock where in the the particular role has exclusive lock but the cproject has shared lock means even the other users can access other roles of cproject.

// Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matthias.

I'm currently in a project where my project structure could be quite deep with multiple levels of tasks. We could face the same issue as you did with having to be able to edit tasks for more than one user at the same time. Role creation, cost planning (with the Cost Planning Customer Solution) etc.

So I'm curious if you ever solved your issue?

Best

Morten

0 Kudos

Hi Morten,

We solved that by asking SAP to develop this feature as Custom Development Program.

The feature works very well in terms of functional need.

But to be honest, unless you REALLY need it, I would not recomment this feature for the reasons below:

- Expensive to develop and maintain (especially while upgrading the system, due to lot of standard modifications).

- Response time are decreased a lot, due to single object consistency checks (instead of locking the full project in standard).

- In terms of usability, more clicks are necessary sometimes, still due to consistency checks (unless you develop additional routines).

I would rather recommend standard structure breakdown with the subprojects for instance: this could allow you to let different Project Managers handling their planning at the same time, and consolidate the full planning in the master project.

Up to you to make the good choice!

Regards,
Matthias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matthias.

Thank you for your inputs. These are very valuable and I will definately take these into consideration for my solution!

All the best,

Morten

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wendy,

It's well written on the paper, but unfortunately this new functionnality is almost useless:

In 4.5, there is a RPM new functionnality called "fast staffing". You can staff directly your ressources to project roles in the staffing screen, without entering cProjects. However, it's impossible to change the staffing status, so anyway you have to enter cProjects to set it as "completed" --> you lock the project.

We also contacted SAP about this concern, without a positive answer...

The best would be to lock ONLY the object "role/participant" and not the entire project.

Matthias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Matthias,

My user group shares this concern. We came across it mostly with staffing. We wanted our team leads to be able to staff roles without locking the entire project. We tried that assign resource to task from the task dashboard and that did not work as you stated.

We had contacted SAP about this. I recall getting an answer that the task dashboard was created for basic task confirmation functionality. Unfortunately I do not have this in a documented form. I think it was stated in a phone coversation.

Since you are on 4.5, I would be interested to know if you can staff from the resource/staffing screens on the RPM side. David Maloney had led us to believe that 4.5 could have functionality that would make it easier for us to staff roles and not lock the project. With things like this you never know until you see it tested.

Wendy Miller

former_member225645
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Matthias,

Yes, only one user can access a project & its elements in 'change' mode at a time.

thx, Mathavan