Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

different component versions

i045323
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

In the following mention path, the component versions of the SAP systems are available.

System->Status->Component version.

In one SAP Systems i can see the value as SAP ECC 6.0.

In the other SAP system the value is SAP NetWeaver 2004s.

Can somebody explain me wht does they mean?

As far as i believe SAP ECC and Netweaver are two completely different layers.

SAP ECC is the application layer and obviously SAP NetWeaver 2004s is the technological layer.

I believed always the version of the technological platform is available in the Component version

section and not the version of ECC appication layer.

Somebody please clarify.

Thanks in advance.

Pramod.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pramod,

You are correct. SAP ECC is the application layer and SAP NetWeaver 7.0 (2004s) is the technological layer. ERP (or CRM, or SCM, etc.) systems will always show the application layer version. Only NetWeaver standalone systems will show just the technological (i.e. NetWeaver) layer version.

Best Regards,

Matt

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

i045323
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Let me put it this way...

ERP system consists of the following components namely Netweaver, ECC, SEM, Cproject Suite.

Similary what does the netweaver stand alone system consist of??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pramod,

Are you sure you understand what NetWeaver is? A NetWeaver standalone system would consist of the Usage Type(s) that are installed for the role it is to play in the landscape -- BI, PI, Portal, DI, etc.

Perhaps you should take a look at the Master Guide - SAP NetWeaver available at http://service.sap.com/instguidesnw and/or the guide that I wrote How To Design a SAP NetWeaver Based System Landscape available here on SDN.

Best Regards,

Matt

former_member194360
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pramod

SAP ERP is based on SAP Netweaver. The software architectue is as follows (see also SAP ERP Master Guide from service.sap.com/erp-inst):

- SAP ERP includes different "own" installable units, such as SAP ECC, SAP SEM, or SAP XSS (Self Services). These are based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0, and supply the different application specific software components.

Example: SAP ECC requires a SAP Netweaver system with usage type AS ABAP.

- SAP ERP furthermore includes SAP NetWeaver installable units, such as for example SAP NW - EP Core, or SAP NW - Process Integration. These are required for using SAP ERP, but do not include own developments (They are "repackaged" from SAP Netweaver, including all needed tests, etc. "Repackaged" software units can be distinguised from SAP ERP components by means of the "SAP NW" in the name).

- SAP NetWeaver offers software units, which neither fall into above categories. Example: SAP NetWeaver Development Infrastructure

A SAP NetWeaver stand alone *** system*** is each system without additional applicaton installed (AS ABAP, BI, PI...)

- A SAP NetWeaver Standalone ***engine*** would be an additional installable software unit. They do not work as full-blown systems of SAP NetWeaver, but as standalone engines that provide specific (server) functionality in combination with one or more SAP NetWeaver systems. They are not part of a usage type. They do not run on AS ABAP or AS Java.

Example liveCache, or Search and Classification (TREX)

regards

Andreas R

i045323
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

In the system Component Information pop up, i can c that there are exactly the same software components present on both the systems.

Then how to verify the existence or non existence of other applications like ERP, SCM ,CRM in a particular system??

Thanks and best regards,

Pramod.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pramod,

I do not understand your question. You wrote:

>In one SAP Systems i can see the value as SAP ECC 6.0.

>In the other SAP system the value is SAP NetWeaver 2004s.

So, doesn't this answer your question already?

Best Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pramod, we have a server with ECC 6.0 and one server with Netweaver plus a Banking Component (Deposits Management)

If I compare the components en both servers...

The server with only Netweaver has:

SAP_ABA, SAP_BASIS, PI_BASIS, SAP_BW and the banking component that we are using: BANK_TRBK

The server with the ERP has:

The same components (because run over the Netweaver) plus SAP_HR (Human Resources), SAP_APPL (Logistics and Accounting) FINBASIS (Financial), EA-RETAIL (SAP Enterprise Retail)......... ......

your server with Netweaver may not have those components (Financial, Human Resources, etc)

Edited by: Eydar Del Angel on May 26, 2008 5:51 PM

i045323
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply.

Could you please also explain in detail the meaning of "NetWeaver standalone systems " mentioned

in your reply above?

Edited by: Pramod on May 23, 2008 8:44 AM

Edited by: Pramod on May 23, 2008 8:44 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pramod,

A NetWeaver standalone system is a system that only has NetWeaver Usage Types installed on it -- such as BI, PI, Portal, etc. -- and no application -- such as ERP, CRM, SCM, etc.

Best Regards,

Matt