cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESA webservice in IPHONE application

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I want to build a IPHONE application with a connection to SAP by using webservices. Has someone already done this?

Kind Regards,

Richard

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Richard,

Right now i am trying to build a application on iphone which would connect to sap using web services.

It would be a great help if you could provide necessary doucments to do this.

Thanks,

Swapna.

Former Member
0 Kudos

A bit of a late reply, but YES.

I've been working on such an application for quite a while now. The main problem with doing this, apart from there being no web service API in the SDK is that using SOAP isn't recommended for various reasons. We have therefore taken the step of implementing our services as REST services; these are much simpler and I have been told will be available for Netweaver web services in future.

As a starting point you could look at this blog, was very helpful to me to assess the webservice requirements.

Link: [https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sapportals.km.docs/library/web-application-server/p-r/real%20web%20services%20with%20rest%20and%20icf.article]

In terms of the phone app, you should aim to create a single web service requester class which can accept and forward requests for any relevant REST service that you have published.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you elaborate on why web services for the iphone have not been implemented? Thanks for the link to the blog. I totally agree about the single web service.

Thanks for you reply. I was beginning to think no one was ever going to reply

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think only Apple can answer why they didn't provide a web service kit, although there are bound to be critics with an opinion on it. Possibly if they did SOAP then they get asked, "why no REST?". It may be just that they were concentrating on other things.

Online connectivity is otherwise well-served so it is just a matter of passing the first hurdle of implementing a service consumer yourself or cribbing a design from the net.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can write your own classes in your iphone application to communicate through SOAP.

With event-driven XML parsing, it's really easy to do..

regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Could you please send us some documents related for the above XML parser. We are working on iPhone User Lookup application in which we are not able to get data on iPhone. We are consuming SOAP webservices in iPhone for the BAPI_USER_GETDETAIL. We have all the classes to communicate through SOAP.

Thanks,

Swapna.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey,

You can check out

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/DOCUMENTATION/Cocoa/Conceptual/XMLParsing/index.html

All info about xml parsing for the iphone is there.

regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ruben,

Thanks for the reply. Right now i am working on iPhone User Lookup application. In which if we enter the user id in iphone application it fetches the details of the user from our SAP server. For that i have cretaed webservices for BAPI_USER_GET_DETAIL.

I am able to send the data throgh iphone to the server but not getting any response from the server.

Please help us if you have any idea on this....

FYI :

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/30c0db18-7894-2c10-379b-803471136b55

Thanks,

Swapna.

Former Member
0 Kudos

First of all, test your webservice with an application like SOAPUI (http://www.soapui.org/).

When you are sure the web service is responding, follow this guide:

http://icodeblog.com/2008/11/03/iphone-programming-tutorial-intro-to-soap-web-services/

regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

I had a problem in using sap developed web service in iphone when i try to give values to web service it is not taking the vaues given.It is taking default values and giving output. I want to give values manually it is not accepting we checked at debugging mode from booth sides, sap and iphone(xcode) from iphone(xcode) it passing values but at debug mode of sap side it not accepting values that are given from iphone(xcode).

i tested in soapui there i getting but in iphone iam not getting the values .

soapActon parameter is mandatory to accept input values plz in corm me ...

thank you

Ravi Varma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Richard,

There is a good SAP application on the iPhone called myERP myCRM database. It does not have a webservice though.

Kind regards,

George

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Richard,

Why don't you take a look at this blog :

Best regards,

Pakdi

johna69
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Pakdi,

That scenario is a web application rather than a native application unless I am mistaken.

If that is the case then the service call will not be from the iPhone itself.

Whether to be native or a web app is a big debate for the iPhone. I have created both and can definitely see the benefits of a web application over a native application.

Cheers

JohnA

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't see much support for calling web services on an Iphone, but I do see some clever hacks to support it on the web. Not sure why Apple does not really support web services out of the box. Interested to hear if anyone else has tried to build a native application using web services (provided by SAP of course).

johna69
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Richard,

I have been working on something for the iPhone, but as usual the trick is getting access to the server. Are you able to access yours?

I may resort to setting a server up at home to play with this.

John