Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cascade drop down default value problem

former_member190457
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

I have two cascading drop down menus (country and city) populated by "z_list_country" and "z_list_city" RFCs.

City refreshes if country is changed, i.e. city list depends on the selected country.

I want to provide default values for these two drop down menus.

These 2 default values are 'dynamic', meaning that they are output by "z_default" RFC every time the iview is loaded.

I have created a form from the output port of z_default,

declared the two output fields as 'drop down menu',

selected the two list functions to populate the two entry lists,

defined in/out parameters to define cascading behaviour for the two menus

after deploy, what happens is that only the first field (i.e. the independent one) has a default value.

the other does have a populated entry list but no default value.

can anyone help?

Points will be awarded

Vincenzo

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vicenco,

I remembered that this is a well known issue. I think this link should help you:

[Drop down box displays wrong entries |https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/VC/Dropdownboxdisplayswrong+entries]

Best Regards,

Marcel

former_member190457
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Marcel, thanks for your reply

I don't really understand what the wiki workaround is.

"Find a field of type text that is not displayed in a drop down box (for example a field "Name" which you would usually display in an input box)."

I added a text field (i.e. "name") to the same form of the 2 drop down, and then changed the "name" UI element type to drop down box. If I understand correctly "name" is not bound to any data service, nor is it populated by any way.

I can experience no different behaviour... did I understand the procedure correctly?

Thanks

Vincenzo

former_member190457
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I actually found out what the right procedure is from another post but it doesn't work.

I have opened an OSS ticket and will update this thread as soon as I get an answer.

Thanks

Vincenzo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vincenzo,

the workaround is pretty hard to understand, as it is very strange, too.

The field "name" will also be delivered to your form, i.e. it is bound to some data service.

So don't simply add a field to your form, but add a field that comes from your data service.

I think the problem is:

1. loading data into form and setting default value

2. refreshing dynamic entry list in drop down box, thus overwriting default value with null

The usage of the field "name" will simply change the sequence of refreshing in Visual Composer. Thus, it might avoid refreshment of the drop down box, after the values are loaded into the form.

If I remebember this correctly, I opened an OSS Message for this issue (a little similar to yours) in SP10 and the answer was "Will be fixed in one of the next SPs". However, the problem still occurs. What SP do you have?

Kind Regards,

Benni

former_member190457
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Benni,

thanks for your reply. We are on SP14 patch 1 hotfix 2 plus some other ad hoc urgent bugfix directly delivered by Development, and about to move on to SP16 pre-release. I hope that SP16 solves that, will update this thread as soon as new info become available.

Thanks

Vincenzo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vincenzo,

SP16 pre-release? This sounds very interesting. We face so many issues with SP15 that will be fixed with SP16. Could you let us know about SP16 pre-release and your experiences with it as soon as you have it?

I would really appreciate this!

Thanks a lot and kind regards,

Benni

Answers (0)