cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESOA : Why should we choose ESOA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts!!!

I recently entered into esoa practice. I have so many queries to put in.... Here are a few....

1) how customer gets benifit out of this esoa...??? how it solves customer problems in present market.??

2) In which form these services are served? (wsdl/ any common format acceptable by all kinds of applications or it is completely based on Netweaver platform?)

3) If it is a wsdl, why should we go for PI 7.1 only...we can also generate wsdls from all previous versions ?

4) According to my understanding from all the blogs & forums, all services will be developed and registered in ESR ( which resides locally in my company), then how these services are said to be global??

5) what is the big difference PI 7.1 makes over the previous versions?

6) How ES workplace is helpfull to my development?

7) I have installed ESR & CE 7.1 into my system.. but i am unable to find proper support from SDN ? Is it still have to come up? or Is no one using PI7.1 yet? or any other reasons??

😎 and most imortantly, I have not found any architectural details about ESR or PI 7.1 or CE 7.1. please ignore this question if i m wrong.

It would be great help to all...

Regards,

Pavani

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pavani,

Lot of questions. If you have gone through the ESOA Architecture/framework, you would have find answers to most of your questions.

> 1) how customer gets benifit out of this esoa...??? how it solves customer problems in present market.??

SOA architecture is spreading with a good pace. Its always better to walk with market trends.

Customer can benfit from less implementation costs, fast implementations and finally the maintainace would be quite easier with ESOA

> 2) In which form these services are served? (wsdl/ any common format acceptable by all kinds of applications or it is completely based on Netweaver platform?)

Yes it is WSDL. It is based on standards and acceptable to all SAP, Non-SAP applications.

>

> 3) If it is a wsdl, why should we go for PI 7.1 only...we can also generate wsdls from all previous versions ?

PI 7.1 contains ESR where you can define/design your new Enterprise services with some governace mechanism. Technically Enterprise Services are Web Services but it has strong governance mechanism. You can develop/define simple web services from previous PI versions.

> 4) According to my understanding from all the blogs & forums, all services will be developed and registered in ESR ( which resides locally in my company), then how these services are said to be global??

Nope, they will be developed in ESR( Enterprise Services Repository) and would be registered in Service Registry not ESR.

>

> 5) what is the big difference PI 7.1 makes over the previous versions?

PI 7.1 is coming with lot of new features, but related to ESOA , main is the ESR.

> 6) How ES workplace is helpfull to my development?

ES Workplace provide test servers where SAP has already hosted implemented services. You can consume that services using your applications. And documentation is provided along every Enterprise Service. SAP has hosted ES Woorkplace for evaluation purpose only

> 7) I have installed ESR & CE 7.1 into my system.. but i am unable to find proper support from SDN ? Is it still have to come up? or Is no one using PI7.1 yet? or any other reasons??

A lot of documentation is available and also forums are available for both CE and ESR. But it will take time to reach at atht level when compared to other Netweaver products

> 😎 and most imortantly, I have not found any architectural details about ESR or PI 7.1 or CE 7.1. please ignore this question if i m wrong.

Go through recent Teched Material, you will find a lot.

Hope this helps.

regards,

Piyush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Piyush,

Thank you for your reply. It helped me alot.

I have two more specific problems:

1) I have PI 7.1 server installed. But I m not able to come to a conclusion that this installation is successful. Is there any checklist to test this installation is successful or not?

2) I developed a scenario and wanted to publish my Service Interface into Registry. But when I choose publish, I have got an error as follows.

====================================================================

= Root Exception ===================================================

Thrown:

com.sap.aii.utilxi.swing.framework.FrameworkException: Internal problem occurred

+ at com.sap.aii.utilxi.swing.toolkit.ExceptionDialog.init(ExceptionDialog.java:124)+

+ at com.sap.aii.utilxi.swing.toolkit.ExceptionDialog.<init>(ExceptionDialog.java:96)+

+ at com.sap.aii.utilxi.swing.toolkit.IBMessages$1.run(IBMessages.java:319)+

+ at com.sap.aii.utilxi.misc.thread.ThreadPool.assureAWTEventQueueing(ThreadPool.java:84)+

+ at com.sap.aii.utilxi.misc.thread.ThreadPool.assureAWTEventQueueing(ThreadPool.java:67)+

please share some information on this issue.

Regards,

Pavani

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pavani,

I am in the same stage where you are, i am just waiting for the responses from the experts.

I dont understand why we need to use PI 7.1 for ESOA.

Thanks,

Srini

gaurav_modgil
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

As to why we require PI7.1 for ESOA..... Strictly Speaking... We Dont....

ESOA is SAP's Paradigm of Process Enablement and here they are strictly relying on a Common repository of services (ESR) which will Contain All Service definitions and the Client System/Application only needs to Query the ESR.

This ESR is an Integrated part of PI7.1.... Though we can also install it saparately from PI7.1.

So, Whwn we say we Require PI7.1, we simply mean that we require the ESR which is a component of PI but required for developing Composite Application.

Hope this helps you,

Cheers,

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

ESR is a repository of Services----

> Correct

When we say we Require PI7.1, we simply mean that we require the ESR which is a component of PI but required for developing Composite Application.----

> Wrong.

ESR is required to design/define your service structure which can be implemented in ABAP or JAVA.

Regards,

Piyush

gaurav_modgil
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Piyush,

Thanks for your remarks.

Correct me if i am wrong:

In a Business scenarion where we are not integrating legasy systems, There would be little or no requirement for PI. In such a case where the PI Implementation is not necessery but the business scenario is require Implementation of services (ESOA), Woudnt it be Better to Impliment only ESR, which is a part of PI, rather than going for a full blown PI implementation, which would not be used but still cost your business dear profit.

I agree ESR is required to design/define your service structure which can be implemented in ABAP or JAVA. Thats the standard defination.

The point was wether PI is necessary or not.

Regards,

Gaurav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

Thats fine.

If you want to develop your composite applications, you need to only consume Enterprise Services, for which service registry is required and not ESR.

Client have to query Service Registry to find out the exact WSDL structure and endpoint URL.

ESR is only useful if you want to just view the services provided by SAP or define your own services with some governance mechanism if the SAP services doesn't fulfill your need.

Yes , you are right. If PI is not required, then we can install only ESR with CE 7.1 . No need to go for full PI implementation for ESR.

Regards,

Piyush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Piyush,

I have PI 7.1 installed. But I am unable to view any services in registry..

My questions are....

-> Will those services automatically appear in Service Registry or do we need to add them to it?

If they come automatically, I am unable to view them in Registry.

If i need to add them, from where i have to get them?

---> for developing a web service, where should we dovelop? in CE 7.1 or PI 7.1 ?? If both what is the better way?

I m not getting any clues to go foreward. please help me.

Regards,

Pavani.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pavani,

With PI 7.1, using ESR, you would be only defining or designing the services.

Once defined, you can create proxies and can implement though ABAP or JAVA( using nwds).

Once you have implemented, you publish the WSDL in registry with end point URL mentioned to access that service.

To publish the service in registry using Java, you can use NWDS

For ABAP, just go through this thread

regards,

Piyush.