Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Export not use whr-files for table splitting?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I created some WHR-files for table splitting and they are stored in the directory /EXPORT/DATA.

When I start the export these files are not used.

When I copy the WHR-files to /EXPORT/ABAP/DATA the additional export jobs are started but the are failing because the STR-files are missing.

How are the STR-files created?

Thanks for your help

Carsten

9 REPLIES 9

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Carsten !

Just enter the WHR-file as a load-order option in SAPINST

Regards

Josef

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Carsten,

The STR files are created by R3ldctl and you could split them with SPLIT tool.

Include these STR files and WHR files in the order_by.txt file.

Thanks,

Abdul.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

thanks for your first hints on my problem.

I would like to give you some further information.

I call sapinst in the directory <sapinst_export_split> and generate the WHR-files which are written to <export_dir>/DATA.

Then I call sapinst again in another directory to start the export.

On the screen "Splitting Tool Parameters" I check "Split predefined tables" and fill "Table Input File". On the next screen I check "Define Package Unload Order".

Because the WHR-files are in <export_dir>/DATA I copy them to <export_dir>/ABAP/DATA.

After I have started the export sapinst tries to process the splitted tables and stops because the STR-files are not available. I found some in the directory <sapinst_export_split>/Split and copied them to <export_dir>/ABAP/DATA.

Then I have a problem because the definitions of the splitted tables are in the STR-files of the split and in the SAP-STR-files (SAPAPPL0.STR, etc). So I manually delete the definitions in the SAP-STR-files.

Then at last I have to edit the "order_by.txt" file and I have to add en entry for every part of the split (PCL2-1, PCL2-2, PCL3-3, etc.) and for the SAP-Jobs (SAPAPPL0, SAPUSER, SAPSLOAD, etc.).

Is that the way table-splitting works? I thought that I just have to call sapinst twice without any copying and editing.

Thanks for your help

Carsten

0 Kudos

Carsten,

Did you find a solution to your problem? I have exactly the same

regards

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

now I found the solution for my problem.

I hope this thread can help others to make table splitting easier.

Regards

Carsten

1. use NW04s SR3 Software

2. Split Preparation

- create a file with all tables that you want to split like

ACCTIT%10

BSIS%5

- copy the latest R3ta in your /sapmnt/<SID>/exe directory

- copy R3ta_hints.txt to your installation directory

- make sure that PSAPTEMP is large enough

3. Export

- Let the environment variable TEMP point to your installation directory.

- copy the STR-files created during split preparation from the split-installation directory to /<EXPORT>/ABAP/DATA

- copy the WHR-files created during split preparation from /<EXPORT>/DATA to /<EXPORT>/ABAP/DATA

- start sapinst

- activate check box "Split STR files"

- activate check box "Split predefined tables" in the file that is requested make a list of all tables that are splitted like:

ACCTIT

BSIS

- I think it is a good idea to split packages with a size more than 5000MB. In my opinion in large systems the default value of 1000MB is to small.

- activate check box "Define Package Unload Order"

- Start the Export

- After a short time you are asked to edit the file order_by.txt. All packages that are splitted by the package size option are filled in correctly (SAPAPPL0_1, SAPAPPL0_2, etc.). All tables that are splitted by you have to be edited. E.g. ACCTIT has to be changed to ACCTIT-1, ACCTIT-2, ..., ACCTIT-10.

0 Kudos

Hi Carsten,

Thank you for sharing this solution.

I do have another, after the Prepartation split I have the WHR files but only a single STR file (CDCLS.STR) in the split directory.

Any ideas what have I done wrong? or maybe that's what's suppose to happen?

Thanks!

Roy

0 Kudos

I think that's the way it is supposed to work. I don't think we can have multiple STR files for the same table which would be split.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Carsten,

Thank you for this post. I seemed to help me during my export.

Regards,

Jaco Viljoen.

0 Kudos

Hi Carsten,

Since you used SAPINST for your export preparation (spilt) and export - you should use the same export location . SAPINST will not give you more flexibility, if you change export location you need to change lots of files manually.However if you user Migration Monitor or Distribution Monitor you can play around.

So I strungly recomend to use the same export location for both spilt and export - while using SAPINST.

Regards,

Dipam