cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP R/3 Adm. and Data Archiving question!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm SAP R/3 Basis Administrator (Junior) and soon I will come inserted on a plan of Data Archiving. Me you can signal some handbook and above all what I would have to manage?

Best Regards.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rakesh,

thanks for Link, but practically a SAP R/3 Administrator of what it is taken care in a plan of Archiving Date?

Regards.

former_member193294
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Diego,

let me give you some of my experience.

Normally the functional people are defining which objects need to be archived.

In tx SARA you can see all the provided archiving objects and by selecting Management to see the overview of the Archiving Sessions (if there are any set up).

What you should take care as Basis Admin is to set up the technical settings/Basis customizing of the archiving process . This includes the "Logical file path", "Assignmemts of Physical paths to Logical paths", "Logical file definition". Setting which are described in the links/docs which were porovided above.

Now after getting the information from the functional people you have to define jobs which will run the archiving processes and archive the physical files of the archiving objects to a filesystem or to an external storage areas (we use IBM TSM storage for the archiving objects).

And last but not least as a everyday check you will have to go to SARA , select the archiving object which you know it has been defined to be archived and see if there was any issue with the job itself, or if the filesystem is full and archiving could not take place etc.

In the end I would say that the data archiving is 70% job of the functional people and 30% job of Basis people.

Maybe I am wrong and some more experienced people in here will have a saying on this.

I hope I helped a bit.

Rgds,

Loukas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Loukas,

Thanks for the information that you have given to me! In this way I have a panoramic one on what I will have to make and above all to aim the study!

Thanks in order to have shared your experience.

Best Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In addition to the above responce, the other things that u need to take care in your archiving requirements is that you need to consider the residence time and retention peroids while you archive the client data.

Residence time is the time duration for which the data resides in the SAP-Online data base.

Retention Time is the time duration for which the data ( archived data) resides in the Off Line Data Base.

Residence Time functionality is available for a few objects but not available for a few others ( like IDOCs etc). The residence time can be defined in SARA-CUSTOMIZING--> APPLICATION SPECIFIC CUSTOMIZING.

Please ensure that you have maintained the entrire customizing while archiving a specific object.

The other factors that u need to consider in an archiving assignment is regarding the retrieval of the archived data. The data can be retrieved by Document relation Browser(ALO1),Archive Information system(SARI) and other specific reports .

Hope this information helps you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, all the information that you can pass to me are many profits for me.

They widen my acquaintance and they are a lot appreciated the technical indications, streps and tcode.

Rgds,

Diego.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In the handbook that you have to me marked to what I must lend more attention?

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

They have been identified some Archiving Objects: PP_ORDER

MM_EBAN

MM_EKKO

MM_MATBEL

MM_EINA

RL_TA

RL_TB

MM_REBEL

You are to acquaintance of SAP notes correlated to these objects for archiving?

Best regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

thanks for your collaboration!

Diego.