cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Define Revision Levels

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

In SPRO we can matain the revision level. Please tell me the significance of the same .

Thanks & Regards

Kaushik

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Choudhary,

i think it's too long statements ............

Really big dilema............

simply the difference is........

Revision----Updation or change in existing product/design, making previous product/design obsolete.

Version----Same line products with a little bit diff. in functionality or features or design but all are active and not making previous designs/products obsolete. ie it's like an enhanced design/products of base products.

I think now it's clear....

reward points if useful.

Rgds

san joy choudhary

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I think there is little misunderstanding between Revision and Versioning

Well we see into Product Development industry.

We have an existing product, but it is not a perfect product and there is a possibility to Improvement. More then one Team is interested in modify and Improve this Existing Product. No tool will allow you to check out the document more then once. So the Versioning concept came into picture, which allows a copy of the document checked out with new version index and allow to work on it. So you will end up with document with different modifications on it in the form of new versions.

If any of the version created above gets approved by higher management by satisfying them with the market need then they will ask the particular team to release that particular version in to New Revision suing ECM process.

I hope this will clear your doubts.

If any mistakes please don't hesitate to update me

Regards,

Pradeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kaushik,

You go for revision levels when you make any changes to your document

For eg there is a drawing & the client revises the drawing with some changes & you record the same with revision levels rather than creating a new document

By doing so you will have the documentation of how many times the document got revised & what all the chnages have been made in each revision with date details etc

For this SAP has provided the option of defining your own revision level as per your standards

Following are taken from SAP IMG documentation for your reference

Define Revision Levels

In this step, you define the revision levels for documents. You also define the sequence in which the revision levels are to be assigned.

Note

Once a revision level has been assigned, you can no longer delete it.

Each revision level can only exist once within the sequence.

Requirements

You must process the step "Set up control data" first.

Default Settings

Various revision levels are included in the standard SAP R/3 System.

Set Control Data

In this work step, you define central settings for engineering change managemen

You define the same in OS54

Hope the above is helpful

Regards,

SVP

kaushik_choudhury2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi SVP,

I got your point but then what is the differrence between the document version & revision...... I believe we can create a new version if there is any change in the docuement

Regards

Kaushik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kaushik,

What you say is obsolutely right

You go for revision levels when you have ECM(Engineering change management) which allows you to maintain in detail the changes what we make for the document

Version are simple level of maintaining the changes in the document

Suppose a drawing undergoes different phases like preparation,release etc then you can maintain the changes using the version

Hope the above is undertstandable

Regards,

SVP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kaushik,

Lets consider example of manufacturing industry, if there is a major change which is going to effect the process, that time modification request (MR) to be generated by stating the major changes going through various stage of approvals, that process is only ECM in term of SAP language. You cannot change a document revision level directly from the processing functions of a document info record or from the Document Management screen. Instead, go to the Engineering Change Management (ECM) screen.

Where as Document version is maintaining the simple changes during design stage itself, which not costing anything only the internal changes, hence each design changes can be maintained for future reference.

Regards,

Seema Pilankar

If it useful, reward me points.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Kaushik,

We assign Version to different stages of a Drawing / Document before releasing it.

Once the Drawing / Document is released, and if again we are making any changes then we are revising it.

Simply put, changes made prior to release is VERSION and changes made after relasing is REVISION.

Regards

Aby

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kaushik,

Till now hope so you might have got some clear idea regarding difference btwn Revision and Version

The thing is, both Revision and Version are entirely different phrases.

Revision is the term which comes into consideration only once for any product/drawing. Once an drawing is initiated from its starting phase, till its end phase/release to Production Revision remains the same.

it may be either in R&D, Development or Production.

Version is the term which is dependent on revision or in other words if there is Revision, then Version exists.

version can also be defined as the Iterations or the Levels created by the system or the tool automatically everytime the drawing is edited or changed.

Lets take an example of a drawing related to Product Shaft in Manufacturing Industry.

Shaft is a component which is newly created in its Initial Lifecycle and has a drawing with Rev 'A', now since Drawing is assigned with Rev A, the term Version also comes into picture.

On the drawing v can see both Rev 'A' as wel as Version which is in its initial format, say 00.

The designer submits the drawing for review with Rev 'A' and Version 00, further due to some changes designer includes some corrections mentioned by the reviewer where the drawing remains as it is in Rev 'A' but the system/tool automatically changes version from '00' to '01' once the changes are added and in the same way for every changes only this version effect goes on changing, i.e from 00,01,02....and so on till the drawing gets released.

The motive of maintaining Revision and Version is, by seeing the version number one can easily identify the number of attempts taken to finalize the drawing to Production under dat particular Revision.Also one of the advantage is, if the drawing is reached in version 02 and later it is identified dat the previous changes were feasible then the current version 02 can be deleted from the database with the help of the administrator and the previous version 01 can be used as current and final version for production.

Version is just the maintainance of History for each and every changes made under dat particular Revision with the details of the User who has done the changes.

This concept is very much useful and is used in ECM, Engineering Change Management where lot of Concept Designs has to be made with changes in drawings till the product goes to Production.

Once the drawing gets released to Production under Revision A and say under Version 02 if further any changes is proposed for the same drawing then the change of the Revision from Rev A to Rev B comes into consideration where the version also starts from initial level i.e 00 as once the drawing is released to Production any further changes leads to change in Revision with fresh version but not only with change in versions.

Revision change takes place only when drawing is released but Version goes on changing for every change before Drawing is released to Production under same Revision

Hope this will clear the difference.

Please let me know for any advance difference.

Thank You,

Manoj

Pls reward points if useful.