cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netweaver04 system running on an ESX vmware server

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm just wondering if this scenario is possible for any SAP installation:

The central and database instances of an SAP system running on vmware images on ESX server and the database itself running on a physical SQL server.

I was able to install a SAP system on a vmware image but, as expected, it was slow as the system is trying to access a huge database (ranging from 50-80Gb). My question now is: Will the SAP system still work if I move the database to a physical server and keep the central and database instances running on the vmware image?

Thanks for your help.

-Rey

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is no problem with this setup. I would encourage you to check and make sure that database I/O really is the reason for the slow down and that the problem is not with JVM garbage collection. Normally, garbage collection is the problem when running on VM images.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the info - I don't see any issue on the JVM garbage collection.

At any rate, I continued with the following installations:

a.physical db server = installed another sql instance (i.e. servername\instance1)

b.vmware image = successfully installed the central instance but there's an issue with the db installation - it couldn't connect to the db instance on the physical server.

I wonder if it's really possible to separate the db instance from the database server itself.

Thanks again for any help.

-Rey

Answers (0)