cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading data from a Table Cluster sans SAP code

Former Member
0 Kudos

I need to read data at the database level from a cluster table. That is to say, I want to decompress the VARDATA column that is in

the database table and interpreet it with my own code.

I've read all the SAP help documents on the subject, and I have created a test Table Cluster (the physical object) and associated test Cluster Tables (the logical tables) with the Table Cluster, but the data is compressed at the at the database level and incomprehensible.

I realize one can use ABAP and OPEN SQL to read the table, because that goes through the SAP database interface. I could

also call a BAPI from an external program, but I don't want to do that.

I need to read the data directly from the database without going through the SAP database interface or calling any SAP code. I

am willing to write the required code in another language, I just need to know how the data is compressed in the cluster, so I can

decompress it.

1. Does anyone know how to decode the information stored in a table cluster WITHOUT using SAP code?

2. If no one knows how to do (1), does anyone know what compression algorithm SAP uses when storing data in the table cluster?

3. Is there a specification or layout that explains exactly how the VARDATA column in a table cluster is structured, so that once I

decompress it, I can figure out what data belonged to which table and column?

If you even have a guess as to the compression algorithm or layout of VARDATA, I would be interested to hear it.

Thank You,

Larry Smith

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

I need to read data at the database level from a cluster table. That is to say, I want to decompress the VARDATA column that is in the database table and interpreet it with my own code.

You cant. (full stop)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

The question is still open, waiting for points to be awarded. Fidel's answer didn't really help. I already know that I currently can't read the cluster, that's why I posted the question.

I would think SAP uses a known compression algorithm for the clusters, so the most important thing is finding out what the algorithm is, and finding out if SAP does anything weird to the compression headers.

Someone has to know out there!

Thank You,

Larry Smith

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am surprised that no one knows how to read the cluster directly, or at least has some ideas. Haven't others done this before?

Thank You,

Larry Smith

0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm not surprised (see my previous reply)

this has been asked multiple times to SAP.

SAP has never disclosed the algorithms.

It is not public information.

Probably only the developers working on the database interface know how to do it.

I do not think (I'm sure) they will tell (you)