cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSCS questions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I installed a MSCS ABAP ERP 6.0 in Wins 2k3 + SQL Server 2k5 with 2 nodes (Node1: ASCS, DB instance, CI; Node2: ASCS, DB instance, Dialog instance).

But I have some questions below:

1. About the 3 hostnames for 3 virtual components mentioned in the installation guide: "clusgrp" for component "Cluster group", "sapgrp" for component "SAP cluster group", "dbgrp" for component "DB cluster group". I think the name "... group" makes confusion, at the beginning it made me feel they're the cluter group names in MSCS. In fact, the "Cluster group" is the MSCS cluster name when installing MSCS. The "DB cluster group" is the virtual server name of SQL Server. The "SAP cluster group" is the Virtual Instance Host of SAP. Anything is wrong?

2. When installing CI & Dialog instance, the installation guide says that we have to install them on local disk, but I find no screen which tells me about this. I don't know why.

3. About the instance numbers, I chose the default number that SAPinst raised. That's is: 00 for ASCS, 10 for Enqueue Server Replication, 01 for CI, and 01 also for Dialog instance. My SAPGUI system uses 01 as the System Number and for me it's ok with the failover. Anything is wrong?

4. I want to install another system for Dialog instance. This system will be the node out of MSCS. What does it need? 1 local disk for OS only? 1 public net card only? How about its instance number - I have to use another number except 00, 01, 10 such as 02?

Thanks,

Toan Do

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. This configuration of the cluster groups is correct. MSCS creates the Cluster Group resource, DB Group is needed for the database, and SAP Group is created by the SAP installation.

2. Unsure but believe that it is because if the drive trying to install on is owned by the other node then it might cause some trouble.

3. The default Instance Numbers are fine, you just need to know which ones are which.

4. As far as installing another instance outside of the cluster, you can do this as long as your hardware can handle it. You will need to install it on a local drive. It can use the same network card as what is used by the cluster. The Instance Number can be anything that is not already used (I recommend using a number like 50 so that you know what it is just by looking at it.) We have done this configuration on one of our systems and it actually has worked very well. FYI, I would install another local instance on each node of the cluster for more availability.

Answers (0)