cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

work process configuration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello gurus,

I'm searching for note or document that describes the stardard sap configuration for work processes specially background work process.

Please advice,

Dimitry Haritonov

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Which environment are you running (windows/unix)? The recommendations will be different for each of these.

J. Haynes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joe,

thanks for the note, I found it too.

We run windows / sql server

My question is how heavy is the background processes on the server and what is

the recomendation. For example, for dialog the recommendation is 1:5 ( 5 for each CPU).

If you have any information on this, please advice.

thanks a lot,

Dimitry Haritonov

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dimitry,

For windows boxes, I generally start with the base recommendation for the number of WP's (not just DIA's) and work backwards from there (balancing the number of DIA's with the number of Batch WP's).

Generally, DIA and BTC wp's consume the same base level of resources but can be set to different limits (as far as memory usage).

Below are some links that further describe the memory settings for windows boxes (wasn't sure if you had a chance to look through these).

[Determining the Number of Work Processes|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/02/962817538111d1891b0000e8322f96/frameset.htm]

[ztta/roll_extension_nondia: EM Quota for Non-Dialog Work Processes|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/dd/d0256805734b8b849c14c9cb33a266/frameset.htm]

Is that the kind of information you are looking for?

Thanks,

~jph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dmitry,

Let me answer the opposite first. Say you have 'X' number of BTC process on the system. After your system is up and running for few weeks (with out restart), you can check the amount of CPU time each WP got in SM50 (CTRLShiftF6). You can eliminate the WP's with < 0:10. This is a way of trimming unnecessary WPs from the system.

The opposite is a bit complex - trying to determine the # of BTC WPs you need to accommodate your job schedule. If possible, you want to schedule batch jobs during off hours. We have batch window (10pm-6am). We increase BTC during this time with op-modes. If you have heavy batch load during normal hours, you want to limit the BTC # to < CPUs. So even few long running jobs kick off, they only tie up few CPUs, but not all. For example, on hour central instance, we limit the BTCs to 8 and increase them to 16 at night (we have 24 CPUs).

To exactly determine the BTCs, you need to come up with a batch schedule & run time for each batch job. You can then determine the amount of CPU hours needed for batch processing and adjust the BTC WPs accordingly.

-RK

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is a good start: [Note 9942 - Maximum number of work processes|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/9942]