cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Format of output from BLS

Former Member
0 Kudos

When I create a web refence in .NET for a business logic transaction using the following format:

http://server:port/XMII/WSDLGen/transaction

The output for the xacute method is of type "Rowset". Is there a way to get this method to return standard xml ? Typically, that's what most web services return.

Is this something that .NET is doing on it's own or is it the way I'm creating the web reference ?

BTW I'm using xMII Version 12.0

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Glen,

Rowset is the standard MII XML

Do you have a reference document assigned to the transaction property output xml?

Regards,

Jeremy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jeremy

I do have an XMLDocument assigned to the output. I ran the BLT with a different tool and I'm getting the correct xml. I just need to figure out how to manipulate the data within .NET. .NET doesn't appear to treat the output of the web service as an xml document. I just need to do a little more investigative work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

.NET will convert it to "objects". Also, did you remember to assign a reference document to the XML output parameter in your BLS transaction? If so, .NET will automatically create the appropriate classes/objectc structures that correspond to your XML document structure (as long as your XML document is in MII /Rowsets/Rowset/Row format).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rick,

The fact the .NET was converting the xml to objects was driving me crazy. I was tryng to massage the data into something that was bindable (like a dataset). I figured out a generic way to create the dataset schema by using reflection. I just need to find a generic way to fill the dataset. It appears that you've been down this road once or twice.

Thanks for you insight

Glenn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Glenn, another alternative instead of using the web service invocation of the BLS transaction is to use the "Runner" servlet instead. You'll get back metadata in the XML that you can use to dynamically create the column metadata in an ADO Dataset object. Same basic idea, but you won't need reflection. You can just parse/process the XML. In a previous life, I built a wrapper class that executed any transaction and converted the results to a bindable dataset. You'll be able to do the same. I might even have the code lying around somewhere, as I know I sent it to a bunch of other people to use when I was at SAP.

Rick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rick,

What is the syntax for the Runner servlet ? ( I can't find it anywhere) Does this work for 12.0 ?

Thanks

Glenn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Glenn:

Format:

http://server:port/XMII/Runner?Transaction=YourFolder/YourTransaction&OutputParameter=YourOutputPara...

...where XXX,YYY, and ZZZ are input parameters.

Rick