cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCMS: Determining warning messages from CCMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

We use SAP Solution Manager 4.0, SPS 13 for System Monitoring of almost 100 systems.

We configured SOLMAN as CEN system and activated the CCMSPING with –push option.

For almost the 2/3 of the systems we configured SAPCCM4X agents.

Our current problem is a performance issue in tcode DSWP. When we try to enter into one of the solutions there (by pressing on it) we get the following warning:

Determining warning messages from CCMS

It tooks a while and then it is possible to enter into the solution.

My important question is of course:

How can this issue be solved?

Is there some techniques to analyse and change the problem

As I know there are two ways of sending/retrieving the data:

via RFC (pull)

via CCMS (push)

Which method is faster?

Is there some changes in CCMSPING possible? (interval for sending/retrieving the data)?

Is there some other settings (likw profile parameters e.g. rdisp/...) that could be performed to solve the problem?

Thank you very much for any helpful information

Regards

Thom

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will reformulate my question

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thom,

By default CCMSPING with the -push option will check your systems every 1 minute whereas RFC only checks in 5 minute intervals. Without the -push option it will also only check your systems every 5 minutes.

You can check table ALAVLCTRL in your CEN to change the timeouts(PING_TIMEOUT) and monitoring frequency(PING_FREQ) of CCMSPING. You cannot however set the frequency lower than 1 minute.

Have you checked the logs to see what warning messages it is referring too ? My other suggestion would be to update Solution Manager to SPS15.

Regards,

Nelis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nelis,

thank you very much for your response.

>a)By default CCMSPING with the -push option will check your systems every 1 minute whereas RFC only >checks in 5 minute intervals.

>b) Without the -push option it will also only check your systems every 5 >minutes.

Which option is faster?

I could unfortunately found the table ALAVLCTRL in tcode SM30...

Do you have perpaps other suggestions?

Thank you very much!

regards

Thom

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thom,

Using a CCMSPING agent with the -push option is far quicker than using RFC in ABAP and will give you additional functionality.

You can use SE16 to check the table ALAVLCTRL options, to change system must be made modifiable. This must be done on the CEN.

With the amount of systems you are monitoring I would consider installing and registering additional CCMSPING agents in CEN to help with load balancing. This can only be done using the -push option.

See [original link is broken] ..for more information on monitoring in general. The "Setting Up your Monitoring" section has a good monitoring setup guide which includes information on the agents.

Regards,

Nelis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nelis,

thank you very much for your information. I will definetely award you points after.

Could you please answer the following question:

- how does the CEN collects the data from sattelite systems?

a) via CCMS agent (if available)

b) via RFC

Which way is faster?

Which factors can influence the performance of this issue?

(not working alerts, not working RFC connection, etc.)

regards

Thom

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thom,

The CCMSPING agent uses two methods to check availability. One is to connect to the message server using "Ping monitoring" the other method is to check whether you can actually login on the application server and that requires an RFC connection. When you configure Availability monitoring you will see you can configure either or both methods depending on what your requirements are.

The data is collected and stored in a memory segment reserved for monitoring. The agent connects to this segment on your monitored systems and transfers it to your CEN at the set intervals where it is cached. Edit: sorry if confusing, this method used by sappccm4x agent. CCMSPING connects directly to your application server message service to check availability.

You keep asking which is faster but as mentioned you may require both methods depending on your requirements.

Factors like how busy your application servers are(RFC calls require free dialog work processes) and how long the agent should wait before receiving a response will effect the performance which is why you are able to adjust ping timeout and frequency. How many systems are being monitored and how much data is being transfered from those systems is another factor to consider.

Regards,

Nelis

Edited by: Nelis Lamprecht on May 15, 2008 3:11 PM