cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset Button for multiple forms

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I have 3 input forms on one main input form.

I have kept the Reset Button on the main form.

But I want the reset button functionality to be included in all the subforms.

i.e I have a RESET Button on my main form.

When I press this button I want the data in all the sub-forms to be reset.

How can I achieve this ?

Regards,

Deepu.K

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

mh97
Contributor
0 Kudos

deepu,

What action is assigned to your "Reset" button?

I think you can create a "signal out" from your main form and then a corresponding "signal in" to each of your subforms. The "signal out" will have your reset event assigned. Then when that event is raised, it should refresh the subforms.

You may need some default values in a data store, perhaps, to make this work.

I hope this suggestion is helpful.

Margaret

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Margaret,

What action is assigned to your "Reset" button?

Initially I added the System action with Insert Row & Insert at first option.

Since it will not work for the subforms now I changed it to a custom action namely RESET.

I think you can create a "signal out" from your main form and then a corresponding "signal in" to each of your subforms.

Creating signal out for my main form is fine.

But how to create a SIgnal-in for my subforms ?

I don't see any option of creating a signal-in for the input forms.

Regards,

Deepu.K

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepu,

Drag the signal In controls form the Compose task panel then add to the inputforms

Regards,

Govindu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm not able to create the functionaölity for my requirement using Signals.

Can u guys tell me how to do that ?

Actually how to proceed first ?

My Scenario :

1. I have 1 main form .

2. In this main form I have 3 sub forms.

3. I'll submit the main form to the data source.

4. All the fields in my main form are hidden except submit button and refresh button.

5. The fields in the main form are hidden bcoz my requirement is to place all the relevant fields in one group.

6. Since there are no separators in VC I've created subforms for each group of input fields.

That's the reason I made all the input fields of my main form as hidden and distributed the same input fields in the sub forms depending upon the group.

7. Now my requirement is when I press the REFRESH Button on the main form the input fields of the sub forms must get reset.

8. For this u guys gave me the option of using Signals and Data Stores.

9. My QN is how to achieve that ?

10. Say I'll drag a signal out from my main form.

Now by this I'll have all the values of my input fields .

11. But how shud I pass these values to the signal in ?

I'm confused............Can u guys tell me how to proceed ?

Regards,

Deepu.K

mh97
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi deepu,

Let me first clarify, what do you mean when you say you created "subforms"? I assumed that you mean form elements that you have placed on the main form in your layout view. But in the design view they should appear as separate form elements.

Is that correct? If not, I need to understand what you mean by subform before I can make any other suggestions.

But if I understand you correctly:

Each separate form element should have an "in" port. To add an "in" signal that can be used to refresh the form, go to the Compose panel, under "Connectors" you will see a "Signal In" element. Drag that over to your design board. Then draw from the green dot on that signal to the input port of the (sub)form. Now rename the "in" signal with the same name you used for your "out" signal from the main form. That creates the "link" so that when the event is raised that sends the "signal out", the "signal in" is also called. I believe this will refresh the (sub)form even if you don't map any data. If you want to change the inputs to the fields in the (sub)form, then you need to do the data mapping.

On re-reading your scenario, I don't think you need the data store for this.

One other thing you will need, is to connect a start point to your signal out from the main form. Otherwise the subforms will be disabled on start. Connecting the start point simply means the event is raised immediately and the forms are enabled.

If I can figure out how to post a graphic of this in the wiki I will try to do that later today, then you can see exactly what I mean.

I hope this helps,

Margaret

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Margaret,

Great!!!! Thanks for your reply.

I implemented as said by you and it's working fine.

But some qns again !

1. What do u mean by Form Elements ?

By sub-form I meant one more FORM VIEW inside the main FORM VIEW.

In my MAIN FORM VIEW I disabled all the input fields (hidden) and instead I created 3 more FORM VIEWs and placed them on the main FORM VIEW. ´( So that I'll be getting 3 boxes in one big box in the layout )

SO in the layout it'll be appearing as SUB FORMS.

• But anyways as said by you I dragged a SIGNAL OUT from my MAIN FORM VIEW

• Attached the RESET Custom ACTION to it.

• Made all the field-values of the signal out as NULL

• Created a SIGNAL IN to the other SUB FORM VIEWS

• Renamed the SIGNAL IN NAME as the same as the SIGNAL OUT NAME

2. Fine......now when I press the REFRESH Button on the main FORM VIEW all the values in my SUB FORMS are being RESET.

But .............There are 2 fields in my SUB FORM which are having default values .

Eg: Posting Date From and Posting Date TO.

These 2 fields have a default values .

When I press the REFRESH Button only these 2 fields are not getting cleared ,rest all are getting RESET .

How to clear the field values having default value ?

Regards,

Deepu.K

mh97
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi deepu,

I'm glad it worked for you. Answers to your questions:

1) Form view, form element, I think we are talking about the same thing. Since the technique worked in your model it doesn't matter.

2) Refreshing fields with a default: With the method I provided, when you click "Refresh", the form is called again so the fields should be shown with their default values. That happened in my test; if it did not happen for you I don't know why. BUT if it is the case that you don't want the default value to be displayed when the user clicks refresh, but rather you want a blank field: then you have to set the default on the start point, but the "default" attribute of the properties should be left blank. If you pass the value from the start point then it will be displayed when the user initially calls the iView; but when the form is subsequently refreshed it will not show again what was in start point, it will only show what is defined as the default value, so if the default is blank you get the field cleared. Is that what you are trying to do?

I hope that helps!

Margaret

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Margaret,

Thanks for ur help once again.

I tried to provide a start point to my input form in which the date fields are present.

But that Input Form has already a Signal IN (RESET Function)

SO i'm not able to provide a START Point to that Input form.

What I mean to say is : The INput form is accepting either a SIGNAL IN or a START Point but not both.

Now what should be done in this situation ?

Regards,

Deepu.k

mh97
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi deepu,

You can connect the start point to the signal out that matches your signal in. (Imagine the signal out and signal in are really connected. By having the same name that is essentially the case.)

Not very intuitive, is it? But you'll have to take that up with the management.

Margaret

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Maragret,

Wonderful !!! Many thanks once again.

Ur solution worked for me .

But I have a new scenario on the same lines of my QN.

May be I'll raise a new thread for that later.

Hoping you'll help me in getting rid of that scenario even !

Regards,

Deepu.K

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry Deepu,

Govindu is absolutly right, however you can try the solution offered by Margaret using signal ins and outs.

Regards,

Ahmed Salah

Former Member
0 Kudos

Deepu,

you can trigger several action in sequence with the press of one button. you can then choose those actions to be clear and select the form that this action applies to.

this way whenever the button is pressed several action will be triggered in a sequence or parallel clearing the respective form assigned to this action.

Regards,

Ahmed Salah

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ahmed Shah,

Can you explain what u said !

As I told earlier , I have one main form .

On this main form I have a RESET Button.

On the same Main Form I have 3 more sub-Input Forms.

Now when I press the Reset Button u want to raise a custom action.

Ok ..I understood that

But how to attach that action and trigger it to RESET the input fields of other 3 Sub Input forms ?

Regards,

Deepu.K

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ahmed,

nice to meet u

But the sequence actions are not avialbel with present SP s right .

its a feature which is going to be relased in SP15 or more.

thats why i gave the Answer not possible sequence actions presently

Regards,

Govindu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepu,

If you are created a button in a Form then its action can be applied only to that input form or to any one of the inputforms available in the model.

so it is not possible to apply to all input forms at a time.

Regards,

Govindu