Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

refresh drop down values

srinivas_anchuri
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a drop down on my form with values coming from an RFC. During the course of the application, more values get(should) be added to the drop down. But the drop down is not getting refreshed, rather the backend RFC is not getting called again to refresh the content.

Is there a way to refresh the dropdown by forcing the associated RFC call?

Thanks.

Srinivas.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

mh97
Contributor
0 Kudos

Srinivas,

At the point in the user's interaction with the application that the values in the dropdown need to change, you need to have whatever the user is doing raise an event. Now assign that event to a "signal out".

Put your dropdown on its own form - you can use the layout settings to hide the outlines of the new form and make your original form still appear to the user as a single form. Now have a "signal in" for the form that matches the "signal out" you just created. So whenever the event is raised, the event calls the dropdown again, and your RFC will be called and populate the new values.

I hope this suggestion is helpful.

Margaret

srinivas_anchuri
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Margaret,

Thanks for the reply.

I have a button on the form that has the drop down. The button shows a pop-up and based on certain actions in the pop-up,and after the pop-up is closed, the drop down needs to be refreshed. Will you solution still work in such case.

If I understant it right, you are saying if we can get an event into form again when drop down needs to be refreshed, the RFC will be called again and drop down will get latest values. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Srinivas.

mh97
Contributor
0 Kudos

Srinivas,

I am using a popup this way: when the user selects a value in the popup (with a button labeled "Select"), the popup closes, the value is transferred to the field in the original form, and the dropdown that uses that value is refreshed based on the new value.

Here is how it is constructed:

With a popup, your transition to the popup should be a "Popup Invocation" (it will say that on the top of the configure element panel, when you click on the transition). In the lower part of the configure element panel for the popup invocation, you should assign the value to be returned to the form field that is to receive it. (Let's say for example, "@Popup_value" maps to "Form_field"):

T  |  FORM_FIELD  |  @POPUP_VALUE

To get the value back from the popup to your original form, you should be using an event linked to an "end point". This event will have the same name as the action assigned to the button which is to select a value and close the form. The transition to the end point must have the field mapping that you want to transfer to the original form. The field to be mapped from the popup must be qualified with the form name within the popup iView. For example,

T  |  POPUP_VALUE  |  #ID[ACC5N3]@NEWVALUE

I hope that is clear and helpful.

Margaret

srinivas_anchuri
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Margaret,

Thanks for the explanation but I still have some basic questions.

Could you send me your e-mail address to srinivas.anchuri at gmail so that I can send you a sample model where I have such a requirement. Please let me know if we can do it this way.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks.

Srinivas.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have the same problems but I think that the RFC are not working correctly. I did the procedure that Margaret wrote using signal in and signal out port but without result. Any other idea?. Could be a version problem or similar?.

regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

if I understand correctly, you need a signal to be fired when the popup closes.

since using an endpoint will only return a value that is the default for the dropdown, but will not refresh it.

unfortunatly, firing an event upon closure of the popus is a feature that will exist on the forecoming Enhancement Pack.

to simplify it more, if you had this closure event, you could have fired the signal out upon the popup closure and the list would have been refreshed.

My suggestion here I'm afraid, is not to use a popup for this action or:

try to set a timer to start counting upon opening the popup, for about the time it takes the user to choose the value, and this time will fire the signal out to refresh the list.

(I know it sounds a bit strange....)

Amir Mimran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

if I understand correctly, you need a signal to be fired when the popup closes.

since using an endpoint will only return a value that is the default for the dropdown, but will not refresh it.

unfortunatly, firing an event upon closure of the popus is a feature that will exist on the forecoming Enhancement Pack.

to simplify it more, if you had this closure event, you could have fired the signal out upon the popup closure and the list would have been refreshed.

My suggestion here I'm afraid, is not to use a popup for this action or:

try to set a timer to start counting upon opening the popup, for about the time it takes the user to choose the value, and this time will fire the signal out to refresh the list.

(I know it sounds a bit strange....)

Amir Mimran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Srinivas,

Choose Tools --> Options --> Compiler.

In Data Service Retrieval combo box

choose Donot cache data service get latest.

Log off from your model.

Regards,

Sami

srinivas_anchuri
Explorer
0 Kudos

This would only refresh the RFC definition on the story board.

My problem is calling the RFC again at runtime to refresh the drop down content.

Thanks.

Srinivas.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Add a timer for refresh the RFC during run time.

Regards,

Govindu

srinivas_anchuri
Explorer
0 Kudos

RFC call to fill drop down cannot be controlled through timer. Atleast, I did not find a way to do it.