Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differences b/w SMTP+SAPconnect

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Whats are the main differences are SMTP and SAPconnect

For NW 2004s 4.6C SP20 Under HP UNIX - - DV,QA,PR - - what I need to configure SMTP or SAPconnect ?

For XI 3.0 (Exchange Infrastructure 30) - - what I need to configure SMTP or SAPconnect ?

For Sulation Manager 4.0 Under LINUX redHead 2.6.9 - - what I need to configure SMTP or SAPconnect ?

As per SAP Note: 101573

As of SAP Technology 6.10, the Internet Mail Gateway is triggered by the new solution via the SAPconnect SMTP interface (see Notes 455127 and 455140). In this case, a gateway is no longer necessary and all SMTP-enabled mail servers can be accessed.

The Internet Mail Gateway can also continue to be used with SAP Technology 6.x because the SAPconnect RFC interface is still supported up until the end of 6.x. However, SAP does not recommend this solution

Ok, If I follow this notes, sound like I don't need SAPconnect like nodes SMTP is enough, but when I trying to configure SMTP I got messages you have to configure with RFC connection

You little advised will be really appriciated

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Read this Information :

"SAPconnect provides a standard interface for external communication, which supports sending with telecommunication services, such as FAX, text message (pager/SMS), Internet mail, and X.400, as well as sending to printers and between different SAP systems. It enables external communication components to be connected to the SAP system.

SAPconnect provides a direct connection to the Internet using the SMTP plug-in of the SAP Web Application Server. This enables you to send and receive Internet mails without the need for an additional external communication system, as well as faxes and text messages (pager/SMS). The SMTP plug-in is available for Internet mail as of SAP Web AS 6.10, and for fax and text messages (pager/SMS) as of SAP Web AS 6.20 "

And for further details:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_webas620/helpdata/en/af/73563c1e734f0fe10000000a114084/content.htm

Rahul