Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Support packages must be updated for a vanilla ECC 6.0 Installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

It seems difficult to get this answer.

What exact packages HAVE to be updated for a vanilla ECC 6.0 installation. It seems very time consuming and unreasonable to update every Component when many are not used. Componets such as IS-Oil, IS-H and all the EA such as EA-Retail I would think are not used. Why would they get updated?

Does anyone know the answer to this?

If you do apply all components the downtime would be considerable. e.g.. 12 hours give or take.

thanks

bhm

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marshal,

The best way is just to apply whole stack for ECC. Stack would have all the neccessary updates that you need for your components.

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI

Thats exactly my issue. Why install everything when much is not used. We have 30 different components on our ECC 6.0 base install.

For a live production enviroment the downtime could be a while e.g. 12 hours give or take depending on numbers and not all customers can afford this kind of down time.

SAP brags about their short downtime for an actual SAP upgrade but yet the support packs could leave a customer out of commission for 12 hours. Doesnt make sense to me?

Am i missing something here?

thanks

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bradley;

I understand your point of view... but from the practical side patches for components as EA_RETAIL and industry specific are fairly small compared to BASIS, HR, ABA or APPL... meaning if you have gone through the task to patch the big ones then you might as well do the rest as they only add a fraction of time...

For example a usual BASIS patch is roughly 50Mb while most EA are usually 1or 2 Mb...

Based on this i'll always prefer to patch the whole lot.... hope it helps.

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI

I guess it just does not make sense to me to spend more time downloading, uncarring, moving files around and spending time updating components that you dont even use or need.

I understand that this will ensure all necessary updates take place, but why do this unneccessary work for no gain. It is disappointing SAP does not have some kind of note or document relating the support packs to the necessary components according to what is turned on with EA or being used as an industry solution.

My guess is well over half of the 30 component packagss arent even used.

thanks

brad

Answers (0)