cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparision of JCO/RFC vs XI/PI/SOA to connect to SAP ERP/ECC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am wondering about the pros and cons of using JCO to the SAP ERP vs using SOAP via XI/PI to the SAP ERP system. Has anyone done a benchmark of performance differences between the two approaches? Are there application, landscape, or other criteria that would favor one approach over the other? Cost, maintenance, reliability, performance, ...

This would all be on the current versions of software as it is a new SAP deployment. Our current preference is for mfg plants each with its own xMII and a single central SAP ERP system. Plants in Asia, Europe, and North America.

--Thanks,

--Amy Smith

--Haworth, Inc.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sbhutani1
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amy,

In a very simple statement i would like to say that JCO is tightly coupled integration which probably is the best in using technical integration where we know all the stable end points but this approach is not easy to mould over time in comparison of XI/PI SOA. In the other hand XI/PI with SOA is a lousely coupled integration which we can mould according to our business requirements over the time. The main part of XI/PI with SOA is BPM which plays an important role in consuming and providing the services based on the requirements; that means dynamically decides which connection(service) to be open.

As per your requirement SOA is the best approach to implement the same make all the local xMII as consumer and the central ERP as the provider of the services.

If you have anymore particular query then pls let me know.

Regards

Sumit Bhutani

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member

The main advantage is that JCO/RFC is mostly synchronous, which is needed in a large number of situations in manufacturing applications. Error handling also becomes generally much easier in the JCO/RFC scenario. Also, by "wrapping" JCO/RFC/BAPI logic in MII BLS transactions, you create reuseable, simplified (reduced # of inputs/outpus) services of your own that can be invoked by other applications or your own applications.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks guys.

Sounds like SOA and future reusability vs JCO as a simpler and more functional implementation.

--Amy Smith

--Haworth