cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filtering value help

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am new to Visual Composer and we are trying to implement a value help which will be filtered on the users previous selection. For e.g. on the first selection screen user selects the department # then he will enter a material. Now the material value help should only show the materials from the department he selected already. Is there any way to filter the value help depending on the users previous selection of the dept #?

I have tried to create a query which shows the material numbers filtered by the dept number and added that as a value help. But I can not pass the dept # to the value help iView . I am not sure this is the correct approach or not.

Thanks!

Anand

Edited by: Anand Habbu on May 13, 2008 5:13 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anand,

this really depends on your scenario i will try to illustrate.

if you have a parameter called department number this is being populated by the user or automatically and you have a second service which will be the value help service, it should have an input parameter which is the dept_id hence you can pass this parameter to the input of this service and match the parameter with the relevant fields in that port.

Regards,

Ahmed Salah

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ahmed,

You are right on the first query box/service we are showing all the department numbers a user can see and he can make one dept# selection from the list which is passed to the second form view where the user will enter material. In this form we are trying to provide a value help of the material for the user. In current model I am seeing all the materials from all the departments when I click on a value help where as I would like to only see the materials from the dept# I have selected in the previous selection. I hope this explains our scenario in better manner to you.

Thanks!

Anand

mh97
Contributor
0 Kudos

Anand,

Does your RFC for the material value help take department # as an input, or are you expecting to filter the results that are returned, before displaying them to the user?

In the first case you need only to pass the dept# to your value help and make sure it is mapped to the input of the RFC.

I do not know if the second case is possible; I haven't tried anything like that myself.

Margaret

Former Member
0 Kudos

Margaret,

I am not clear on what is RFC. We have a DSO which keeps the dept#'s by user so the first screen shows the dept#'s only accessible by a user.

On the second screen I have a input box for material which has a value help button. When a user clicks on the value help he sees all the materials where as I want to restrict the materials belonging to the dept# user selected on the previous selection table. The link from form to the value help do not have any parameter passing feature, thats where I am stuck.

I have created a query which filters the materials by dept# and using in the value help but I cant pass the dept# from the form to the value help.

Hope that explains better.

Thanks!

Anand

mh97
Contributor
0 Kudos

Anand,

Sorry for the confusion. By RFC I mean "remote function call" which is more properly called "data service".

I am referring to the SAP Help at:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/d1/0dea61324d4e829d267322770350b5/frameset.htm

If your selection field for dept# and the button for value help are on the same form, as shown in this example, then you need the input field of your data service (or query) to refer to the form field for dept#.

So if your form field for dept is I_DEPT, then your input field to your query should be mapped to @I_DEPT. If your value help is on a different form then you need to include the form identifier for the form that has the dept# field, for example

#[AAC9VY]@I_DEPT

I hope this is clearer.

Margaret

Edited by: Margaret Hilsbos on May 14, 2008 11:36 AM

edited TWICE to correct link to SAP Help.

Edited by: Margaret Hilsbos on May 14, 2008 11:37 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Margaret,

When you create a value help it is created as a separate iView and you can not access the form which is outside of the current iView. I have tried that in last couple days and it didnt work. VC doesnt show the previous dialog/form in the value help iView to pass the dept#. So I am not able to use something like "#[AAC9VY]@I_DEPT"

Thanks!

Anand

mh97
Contributor
0 Kudos

Anand,

You should be able to create an "out" signal from the form and an "in" signal to the iView for the value help. Then you can map the fields in the transitions.

If your value help is a popup then you may want to read my second reply on this thread:

or read this in the SAP Help:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/69/ffdb4269b2f340e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

I believe you can definitely transfer the value to your query, it is just a matter of getting the mapping correct. I don't think VC is always intuitive about this!

Margaret

Former Member
0 Kudos

Margaret,

The SAP help topic helped me resolve the issue I had with few more tweaking on my side. Thanks for your help.

Thanks!

Anand

Edited by: Anand Habbu on May 15, 2008 10:41 PM

Edited by: Anand Habbu on May 15, 2008 10:42 PM