cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advantages and Dsadvantages of Remote Client Copy over Client Transport...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can anybody explain the Advantages and Dsadvantages of Remote Client Copy over Client Transport...

Thanks in Advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Advantages of Remote client copy over client transport

1. Client-specific data as well as cross-client customizing can be copied to the target client, this is not the same in client transport.

2. The prerequisites for performing a remote client copy are that an RFC connection has to exist whereas client transport do not need RFC connection

3. The copy can be performed in parallel with several processes.

4. Remote client copy automatically performs a consistency check on the tables being copied,for client transport performance check need to be done.

5. A remote client copy is easy to use and does not require file system space on

operating system level whereas Client transport require lot of space as files are created at OS level.

Disadv

1. A remote client copy does not create a file at the operating system level,

so there is no hard copy of the client to be copied. Therefore, the same,

identical client copy cannot be duplicated at a later time.Client transport creates import and export files at Os levels

2. To be able to copy all data during the client copy, the structures of all copied

tables in both systems must be identical.

3. An automatic repository consistency check is performed in Remote client copy and if inconsistencies are detected, the client copy is terminated and an error message is displayed.

4. You cannot copy the remote client data and use it whereas in client transport you can copy the files in a cd (like import files, export files)

Also see notes

Rakesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You have told that "Client-specific data as well as cross-client customizing can be copied to the target client; this is not the same in client transport"

According to my knowledge,

There are three files created during client transport which are prefixed as

RO for Croos Client

RT for Client Specific

RX for SAP Script Texts

Then may I know what you mean by the statement above?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I was trying to convey that for remote client copy these three files need not be created at Os level and hence by parallel processing the Client specific data and Cross Client data are copied to destination system, wherein for client transport three diff files are to be created.

I agree that the sentence makes a wrong sense and lead to confusion.

There are lot more options in Remote client copy like

1. Copying only user master data.

2. Copying Client-specific and cross-client Customizing and master/transaction data

3. Copying Client-specific and cross-client Customizing

4. Copying Client-specific Customizing

5. Copying Client-specific Customizing and master/transaction data

Rakesh

Edited by: Rakesh Kulkarni on May 14, 2008 11:17 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank You Rakesh...

I have one more doubt....

Regarding the last point....

A remote client copy is easy to use and does not require file system space on operating system level whereas Client transport require lot of space as files are created at OS level.

Do you mean to say that there wont be any change in OS file system due to remote client copy?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shyam,

Thats a good question!!!

I said there will be no new files created at the Os level, changes to the existing files, profiles and creation of log files are all common to both client copy and transport.

Rakesh

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have doubt in the first advantage point...

So I am marking this unanswered...