3.Backup

I need complete hardware configuration required to run SAP ECC6.0

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

I wanted to install SAP ECC 6.0 (IDES) version on my desktop, for practice.

Below are certain specifications of my PC:

1. The PC is Dell Vostro 200 with Intel Pentium Duo Core 2.2 GHZ processor

2. 2GB DDR 2 (667MHZ/5300 F) RAM

3. Operating System is Windows XP Professional

4. Hard disk is 250 GB SATA

I know that the above specifications are not the very best, however I want to know if I upgrade my RAM to 4GB DDR 2 667Mhz and have an external Hard disk of say 500 GB (and load SAP through VMWare)......will this help me to continue with my exisitng desktop?

If yes, please could you also tell the downside of having an external hard disk vs internal hard disk, and if we have an internal hard disk what other aspects to be considered (eg: drivers need to be installed ..etc?)??

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I wanted to install SAP ECC 6.0 (IDES) version on my desktop, for practice.

Do you have a license for this? IDES is not free software...

> I know that the above specifications are not the very best, however I want to know if I upgrade my RAM to 4GB DDR 2 667Mhz and have an external Hard disk of say 500 GB (and load SAP through VMWare)......will this help me to continue with my exisitng desktop?

ERP 6.0 is a huge system, don't expect your system to be fast, a full system generation may/will take days.

> If yes, please could you also tell the downside of having an external hard disk vs internal hard disk, and if we have an internal hard disk what other aspects to be considered (eg: drivers need to be installed ..etc?)??

SAP systems are meant to be installed on server systems with appropriate sized memory and fast disks. Technically they can be installed on a laptop also - with all the drawbacks.

Concerning your OS questions: If you use VMWare the system will be even slower because of the fact, that another layer of emulation is between the OS and the hardware.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP Installation Hardware requirement

SAP Quik Sizing SAPS you can find info regarding the proper sizing of your hardware at the following link.

Ironically I found they really only focus on the PRD systems and not development, but I would recommend keep all three they same so you know exactly what to expect and the bonus of disaster recovery). https://websmp101.sap-ag.de/sizing > click on the paper on the background of sizing SAP solutions

However, I have seen where the consultants and SAP "oversize" the actual box. So, it is important for you to analytically take into account that it is going to be based on the extensions\components enabled or used, the amount of customization (zPrograms\zTables), periodic of SM37 background jobs, RZ10 instance profile parameters such as ### of rdisp/wp_no_dia (Disp+works) and rdisp/wp_no_btc processes and quantity of users.

I would offer the tip of not using virtualization. We did our DEV and QAS and it hugely effect upgrades\patches and user testing. If you use virtual the systems WILL perform slower. It is due in part to the"shared memory and CPU" and the Disk IO. We went through an upgrade using the virtual enviroment and it was painful everything took 3 times as long!. So, don't get caught up in the virtualize everything- it is not a good idea for SAP systems!

1.SERVER hardware requirement for DEV,QAS, PRD

- keep tall of the systems on physical servers!

- with at least 2 dual core (more preferably 4 CPU's)

- Keep the disk IO as high as you possibly can for the database 15k spindle speed (10,000k will work, but remember if it is connected to NAS\SAN the filer\iSCSI connections will play a role in speeds as well as how it is RAIDed).

-At least 4GB memory, but 8GBor more preferable. (Again it is based on the number of RZ10 dis+work, dialogs, background jobs etc you have set and where you DB is located)

2.Networking - at least a 10 MP pipe or greater

3.Backup - Daily differentials and weekly full's. (remember to have an off -site storage. I also would make sure that you keep a "golden client" that you could quickly refresh you dev system if needed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Based on legacy system data & user's your sizing is done check service.sap.com/sizing using Quick sizer tool from market place like the other users posted.

I advice you to take any seniors consultation for who can work onsite & comment on hardware recommendations

rahul.

Former Member
0 Kudos

And you can see the need info in the instguides of SAP.

Regards,

Alfredo.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

check service.sap.com/sizing

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

IT asking for user name & Password